• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Update Crash and How to Avoid it When Opening Projects from Previous Versions

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has an update....ughhhhhhhh

What is the proper way to import a project template (Video Series) to a new version of Premier/After Effects?

Adobe updated mid-project -- I started organizing and editing in Adobe CC 20 and when I went to export in CC21 it always crashes and won't send to ME or export without encountering an error. 

What is the workflow to bringin a project template from an old app version to the latest without Adobe completely exploding. Soooo frustrating. I hate updates! OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUDS!

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First

FAQ: Deleting Media Cache files

then

Make new project and import old one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Adam,

Sorry about the frustration. Whenever a new update appears, I often choose to not update until my project queue clears out.

If it never clears out (sounds like your case), you have to take a series of actions which can prevent project corruption. These are what I refer to as "editors' rules of thumb," which essentially have not changed for decades. Some thing have not really changed for 30 years. Will they change? Probably not, but I'm hopeful. 

• When the update comes, find out if it there is a good window of time when upating a version (and any requisite project files) would best be done. You have control over this. Adobe does not decide to update your project (as you suggeted). Do not update until that window opens (between "seasons" or major project workflow redesigns: Productions, for example).
  • Before updating, ensure you keep old versions installed and adjust Creative Cloud preferences to assure that.
  • Close all projects, then choose Preferences > Media. Delete all media cache on disk to prevent project corruption.
  • Open the project(s) you plan to migrate and simplify it (them) as much as possible.
  • Duplicate the project file(s) you are updating before updating it so that you have a back up.
  • Ensure you have at least one working backup file (check the Auto Save folder, clean out old unneeded versions)
  • Sync settings to Creative Cloud.
  • Open legacy projects via File > Open not by double clicking on them.
  • When opening legacy projects rename and increment them—do not save over existing projects by "replacing them." In other words, do not destroy original projects. Duplicate them.
  • If projects do not open, trash preferences.
  • If updated projects are malfunctioning, create a new project instead, and import the malfunctioning project into the newer one.
  • If project continue to act up, return to the previous version and complete the project there.

Hope these steps help you - they are from my 1997 NLE course! (Kidding, not kidding) 🙂

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines