• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Usuably Slow Response time

New Here ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Premiere for years. Sometimes it underperforms on me, but never to this degree. This isn't just a playback issue; it's the entire program. For example, when I move the playhead to a point on the timeline, I have to wait before the corresponding images appears in the program monitor; when I hit play, I have to wait before it starts playing (or stops). This is every command in the program. I get the spinning pinwheel constantly. Every command takes seconds to execute, and by seconds, I mean up to 30. This isn't a systemwide issue; it's only happening in Premiere.

This just started this week. Before this week I was editing 4k footage without proxies without any issues. Now a 720 video won't perform. I haven't updated anything (except Premiere, which I did today only to see if that would help address my issue. It didn't).

Here are my specs:

Macbook Pro 2019

RAM 16 GB

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

And here's some of the things I did to try and fix this so far:

-Cache purge (in Premiere and manual)

-hardware accelerated decoding disabled

-Audio hardware input set to 'no input'

-Maximum RAM allocated to Premiere, rendering optimized for performance

-playback set to minimum (1/4 quality, no fx)

-Rendering set to Mercury Playback OpenCL (CUDA not an option; Metal is - which was its original setting)
-Uninstalling and reinstalling Premiere

None of these things has made a lick of difference. Any feedback welcome.

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Sorry, Joey. Trash preferences and repair Adobe folder permissions. Let us know if those things help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is your media located?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I store everything on a LaCie 4TB USB 3.1 HD (130MB/s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a test, could you place a few clips from that drive locally on your SSD, add those to a new project, and see if you have the same experience? I'd like you to remove the external drive from the equation here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well if you haven't done any updates,  let's try some basic mac troubleshooting issues.  Make sure you have at least 10% free space on all drives and at least 20% on your startup drive.   More free space than that would be better.  Are you running any other programs at the same time?  If so, don't (as a troubleshooting step).  If you have any other peripherals besides mouse, keyboard and media drive, disconnect them.  If any of your media is on a network drive or the cloud, copy it to a local drive.  Try disconnecting from the internet and network by either turning off wifi or pulling the ethernet cable.  Try creating a new user account with administrative privileges in system preferences: users and groups, log out and log in as the new user.  Try running disk utility:  disk repair on all drives.  If you've got diskwarrior, run that on all drives.   

People have reported issues having 2 graphics cards running.  You might try disabling one of them.  I'd suggest disabling the intel as it's not on the minimum hardware requipements for premiere

https://helpx.adobe.com/nl/premiere-pro/user-guide.html/nl/premiere-pro/system-requirements.ug.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Joey. Trash preferences and repair Adobe folder permissions. Let us know if those things help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! Thank you so much! I would have never figured this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem in Windows. How do i fix it???? I increase lets say exposure....then i have to wait atleast 30 secondsd to see the change on the monitor. How can i work like that? Its not frozen, it just does not show to the changes you made until 30 secs. Its so frustrating. I am running 1080P video on a pretty powerful specs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the location of your media?

What is the codec of your video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Codec- MP4/MOV H.264 4:2:0

All running on external SSD. Out of the blue, my entire work is stopped now. I cannot see the change until atleast 30 seconds. You can move the sliders, the value on sliders change, BUT it takes eternity to see that change on to the video itself. I am unable to work. It never happened. 

I tried all sorts of resets, media cache clear, updating premier, opening project into a new project, etc. But nothing seems to work. I think it is the time to switch to Final Cut. I am on a deadline here and this thing is just a pile of junk with days of work stuck. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Inter or intra frame H264?

How is this external SSD connected? USB? 

Trying to figure out where the bottleneck is here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, but it's specific to the filepaths Adobe creates for Macs; I don't know if there's a commensurate fix for Windows. That said, I've found that the most common issue for what you're describing results from working with video files of differing frame rates and/or working with codecs that use inter-frame compression. Check your framerates, and if they're all the same (or you can get them to be the same), try transcoding your media so they're intra-frame formats (like .MOV) instead of inter-frame (like H.264).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a minor correction. .movs can use an intraframe codec like h264...
with .movs make sure the codec is something like prores

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you! I'm so used to thinking of .mov files and the ProRes codec interchangably because that's the only codec I use when shooting with an .mov container.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's an easy mistake to make...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines