Highlighted

Premiere won't import MP4 audio to timeline

New Here ,
May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last night everything was working fine, today nothing is working. I assume Adobe updated Premiere again?

I open a new project and import a few MP4 files into the library (all of which have audio). I can see in the library that they still have linked audio present, and the audio plays through the source monitor, but every file brought onto the timeline after the first (the file that's used to create the sequence) has no audio track on the timeline.

I have:

Made sure the timeline audio tracks are selected (A1)

Freshly installed Adobe Premiere

Deleted all media cache and cache files

Deleted the entire common folder in appdata

Renamed the entire common folder in appdata

Tried multiple projects, multiple MP4 files, multiple times

The current crappy solution:

Right clicking on the clip in the library, selecting modify > audio files, changing the number of audio clips from 1 to 2, enabling L and R and then dragging in on to the timeline, this time with an audio track.

Please tell me there's a way permanently to fix this.

Hi DevinC,

It's improper source patch targeting that is usually the culprit: FAQ: Why does audio or video not go to the track where I drop it?

Let us know if that solves it.

Thanks,
Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere won't import MP4 audio to timeline

New Here ,
May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last night everything was working fine, today nothing is working. I assume Adobe updated Premiere again?

I open a new project and import a few MP4 files into the library (all of which have audio). I can see in the library that they still have linked audio present, and the audio plays through the source monitor, but every file brought onto the timeline after the first (the file that's used to create the sequence) has no audio track on the timeline.

I have:

Made sure the timeline audio tracks are selected (A1)

Freshly installed Adobe Premiere

Deleted all media cache and cache files

Deleted the entire common folder in appdata

Renamed the entire common folder in appdata

Tried multiple projects, multiple MP4 files, multiple times

The current crappy solution:

Right clicking on the clip in the library, selecting modify > audio files, changing the number of audio clips from 1 to 2, enabling L and R and then dragging in on to the timeline, this time with an audio track.

Please tell me there's a way permanently to fix this.

Hi DevinC,

It's improper source patch targeting that is usually the culprit: FAQ: Why does audio or video not go to the track where I drop it?

Thanks,
Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 19, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DevinC,

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2017 0
New Here ,
May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did the trick! I knew there were individual source patches for each track (A1, A2, A3), but did not notice there was an overall source patch (A1 to the left). Thanks for the support Kevin!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers! Glad to hear it Devin C!

Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 23, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possibility is that the audio track is stereo and the video file has mono, or vice versa. Insert an audio track that matches what's in the video, at the place in the list where it will match the video track. For example, if you're going to drag to Video 1, insert a new audio track above the first track, so it will become Audio 1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0