• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere won't open my project because it cannot load my media

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere won't open my project because it cannot link my media.

I originally created and edited my project whilst connected to an office network, where all my video files were saved.

I copied everything onto hard drives, took my computer home and tried to open the project there. The file simply will not load. It remains in a frozen blank state, (presumably looking for the office network to reconnect all the video files) and never loads.

This has happened twice now with two completely different edits, which will both open when I return to the office and reconnect to the network.  I'd expect it to load the edit and ask me to manually locate the missing media like most editing software does?

Has anybody has this problem before and do they know a workaround/ solution? I have already tried importing the edit into a new project, and it still gets stuck!

Thank you

Gary 

Annotation 2020-07-16 134104.png

 

[Moderator note: do NOT force users to download strange files to see your image. Drag/drop them directly onto your reply box text area. I've fixed this one for you.]

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a relinking issue ... if the project file could completely load, it would ask to locate media.

For some reason the project file isn't completely loading.

I'm puzzled ... you copied everything to hard drives, then took your computer home. Um ... ? That's not completely clear to me. Details, please.

And is this say a laptop that you were also using for the same project at work? Or desktop? Where are the project files stored for the project on the computer at work, all the cache files and such ... local drive for the computer or the network drive?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

Thanks for coming back to me about this. 

'I'm puzzled ... you copied everything to hard drives, then took your computer home. Um ... ? That's not completely clear to me. Details, please.' 

My project file was saved within a project of subfolders (Z:\uts\video1_non_working_visitor\Ae_Pr_files) which I'd copied from the Z drive (the office network) onto the local D drive of my desktop computer, which I then took home and tried to open. 

It's actually been a couple of years since I opened this project in the office and on trying to load the project from the office network again, it's still failing to load.

 

It asks me to convert the project.

Annotation 2020-07-23 110747.png

It does actually load the files.

Annotation 2020-07-23 111015.png

Then that is when it gets stuck like this.

Annotation 2020-07-23 111154.png

I had the same problem with a newer project from a few weeks ago, and that one loaded from the office Z network, but it got stuck in the same way when I tried to load it from the local D Drive of my computer when I got home.

Best

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try creating a new project, and importing the old project rather than just opening the old project.    and if there's a problem with the media, you can try opening the project without the media drive connected...  if it loads, manually relink til you find the problematic media...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion mgrenadier, I did try that and I got the same results as when I tried loading it normally.

I did end up figuring out the problem, albeit accidentally!

Premiere had given me a warning message which, apparently, was offscreen! That warning message was preventing me from going any further without click 'ok'. I will say, that as stupid as that sounds, the warning message is not something I can view on my screen, and yes my display settings are all correct and I did try cascading windows when I first encountered this issue (It didn't work then and it still isn't working now). 

Anyway, I pressed the ESC key and that got me passed the warning message and into my edit! HAZAR! 

Thank you both for your help with this. 

Best

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This may have just saved my life haha Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines