• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premire Always Lag Playback on a High End Computer i9?!

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I've been experiencing lagging playback since I ever built this power computer. I can't understand why Premiere get's so slow. I'm working with 4K 50fps Panasonic GH5 files with a bitrate of 150mbps 4:2:0 8 bit and it always get some drops when I'm just playing the footage and it starts to get a much slower response when I add a LUT for grading... Anyone having the same issues?)

Here's the specs:

- Intel i9 7900X @ 3.30GHz

- Cooler Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

- 64GB RAM

- 3x SSD Drives (1 for Windows, 1 for the Raw footage and 1 for Cache & Scratch Files

- Graphics: nVidia GeForce 780Ti

- Premiere Pro 14.5 (with option of H264 hardware acelerate turned ON and also using CUDA aceletation on project but I had the same problem with previous versions.)

- Windows 10 Professional

Do you think the issue can be caused by the Graphics Card? Do you believe that the playback would be much fluid if I had a more recent graphics card?

Thanks so much!

Nuno

TOPICS
Editing , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's partly because your GPU is nearly obsolete. All driver versions after version 440 (which introduced CUDA 10.2 drivers) have depreciated CUDA support for GPUs that have Compute Capability version lower than 5.2, meaning that these older GPUs have their CUDA version locked to 10.1 even with newer CUDA versions. Unfortunately, all 700-series GPUs fall into this category of depreciated GPUs.

And the version of NVDEC in Kepler GPUs simply cannot handle 4k resolution well, if at all. The maximum practical limit for these older implementations of NVDEC is 1080/59.94p. Unfortunately, you have an HEDT CPU, which has no integrated graphics processor at all. Therefore, you will not have QuickSync at all to fall back on. As a result, you're stuck between Kepler's lousy NVDEC implementation and software-only decoding.

It is also possible that the GPU has had its VRAM depleted in the middle of playback of 4k material. In this instance, the decoder will be slammed ungracefully into the software-only decoding mode for the remainder of the playback job, with absolutely no indication whatsoever that this is occurring. In other words, even though at 3 GB it is more than Adobe's minimum requirements, it is below Adobe's recommended requirements for the amount of VRAM.

Finally, although your system's CPU is a 10-core/20-thread model, it does not have the clock speed or the IPC (Instructions Per Clock) performance of newer 10-core CPUs. At best it can barely keep pace with today's 8-core/16-thread mainstream-platform CPUs due to the 7900X's clock speed deficit. Too bad the LGA 2066 socket is right now in a very tough position with regards to CPU upgrades: None of those that are currently available, not even most of the i9-10900X-series CPUs, deliver a worthwhile enough performance increase over your current i9-7900X to justify their current street prices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your amazing explanation RjL190365

As far as I understood, I should buy a new GPU and also new CPU with new motherboard, right? Any suggestions for good GPU and CPU that really can handle 4K 50p with high bitrate?

Maybe RTX 2060 Super? Or is it better to buy a RTX 3060 Ti? about CPU I have no idea. 

Thanks again,

Nuno

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realised that I made a mitake writting the GPU. Mine it's 980ti not 780ti. Do you think it stills obsolete? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the 980 Ti is still in "mainstream" support at this time. The NVDEC performance of those older Maxwell GPUs is still not up to par.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure your Default Input in the Audio Hardware in the Pref is set to NONE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, it set to No Input

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines