Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preserve Audio in Time Remapping / Time Warp

Sep 21, 2009 Sep 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/3.0/help.html?content=WS481C07C0-8AFA-4aa9-9968-1FB5CA16... : "When you vary the speed of a clip with linked audio and video, the audio remains linked to the video, but remains at 100% speed, regardless of changes to the video speed. It won’t remain synchronized."

Any way to avoid this? When I change the speed of a clip, I want the audio to follow the same speed as the video. Any way to achieve this?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use speed/duration to have audio follow video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That definitely works for clips with few and simple changes in speed, but what can I do about gradual changes? Slicing up an audio track into 10 parts to provide the illisuion of a gradual change in audio speed doesn't sound fun. There has to be an easier way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Premiere, there isn't.  You may have to go to Soundboth or Audution for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used Soundbooth and haven't the slightest idea on how to do this.

From what I understand, I need to copy the time remapping's keyframes from Premiere over to Soundbooth, so that I can achieve the same remapping with the audio as I did with the video. Except I don't know how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's where the Soundbooth Help file and forums come in handy.  (Preferably in that order.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Time remapping allows gradual speed changes in video, but audio does not follow. It would make a good feature request to have a check box, that allows the option, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't say as I see any real use of audio following video. Either the pitch goes down or up with it, or, I believe you can maintain pitch but the distortion and noise  makes it useless imo. Minor speed changes may work but major change doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2011 Jul 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can think of at least a dozen movies off hand that use time remapping, and they certainly didn't just dump the audio... If you're editing a video of someone talking and you slow it way down, why would you want their voice to continue at normal speed and get out of sync with their mouth?  Whether or not the audio would need some tweaking at the end is besides the point, keeping it's duration and easing as close to the videos as possible would only make sense unless you had explicitely locked or unlinked the audio from the video.

Did anyone ever find an easy way to do this?

[Edited for content]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2012 Jun 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Know it might be a bit late, but since google brought me here, I thought I would update this with how I do it.

To change the speed of a clip at various parts and have the sound change also, is a bit tricky but ill explain it.

first go into the time remapping panel and add the start and end keyframes for your part to speed up/slow down.

Then alt click the audio to select it ONLY. Use the razorblade tool to cut the audio at both parts where the keyframes are, you will see the lines on the clip to guide you.

Then time remap the keyframed section, alt click to select the audio only, and use rate stretch to make the audio match the length of the video. Voila.

I used that technique today and it works great and doesn't take too long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 03, 2014 Oct 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not following. When you ramp video from one speed to another, there are 3 sections that matter:

-The initial speed (e.g. 100%)

-The re-mapped, ramped part (e.g. ramp from 100% to 10%)

-The speed held at the different date (e.g. 10%)

If you are working with just a piece of the audio in the re-mapped/ramped portion, how would the rate stretch tool emulate the ramping? The rate stretch tool doesn't ramp, it changes speed equally across a clip.

You can easily cut the audio at the key frames and take care of part 1 and 3 using "Speed/Duration..." (e.g. 100% on one, 10% on the other), but again the rate stretch tool does not ramp, it merely changes speed/duration.

What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 04, 2014 Oct 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I determined X82's method doesn't work (doesn't actually ramp).

I tried Audition. It has has a very convoluted pitch/stretch tool - it didn't make sense/wasn't viable for this purpose.

AFAIK audio speed ramping is not possible in Premiere (lame). Harm and Jim are right (they are MVPs and apparently know their $##@). I was trying to duplicate the ramping the iPhone 6 plus applies to its 240fps clips (when you copy the clips to your computer you lose that ramping).

After Effects is the way to go with "Enable Time Re-mapping", which also applies to the audio. Here's the output for my video Iphone 6 Plus 240fps + Image Stabilization Test - Mountain Bike Drop + Jump - YouTube.

There are tutorials on youtube for this - some of them super long and convoluted, leaving critical steps out. A shorter, good one is here After Effects Tutorial | Ramped Slow Motion - YouTube.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2015 Nov 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

even later...

just tried X82‌'s method and it actually worked (for me / my purpose)

you can't adjust the audio perfectly to a gradually speed up video, but in my case it doesn't need to be too accurate as I'm speeding up the video ~300x+, so you wouldn't understand a word anyways.

fyi: i also unlinked the audio from the video

so thank you very much, at least it helped me ^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Can't say as I see any real use of audio following video."

I love these kind of comments.  If somebody posted a question asking how to do something, obviously they have a need to do it!  Just because you don't have a use for something, doesn't mean the rest of us don't!  I would definitely like to have audio follow video when I make complex time maps on the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this even an aswer in a creative forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's one and it is what brought me to this thread...

I play a hunting gane and recently wanted to capture rare trophy harvests. Using Nvidia's Instant Replay feature, I cut down the video to just the approach, shot, trek to harvest, and the harvest confirmation screen.

What I wanted to do was slow down the frames that include the shot and then increase speed during the trek to the harvest (shortening the amount of time spent watching me walk/run to the harvest).

What I discovered was that if I just slow the video clip, the audio of the shot was no where near the video of the shot. I have since learned from other resources how to adjust audio by frames but it does solve the issue with the length of the audio clip (because the video is either shorter or longer). For now I have just adjusted my audio to a best match of the video and deleted some of the audio where I am running to the harvest. 

For a program that seems to want to compete with other film editors, it should be easier to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lolol ou guys are hilarious. after effects is the proper route to go. ae>right click clip>time remap>key frame>ramp>export and CHECK the audio box. real ramp with audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's funnier that you make fun of people asking for a feature that probably didn't exist in 2009. Almost as funny as me replying to you four years later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or 14yo me using that feature since 2005.. lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for adding time remap to premere for audio on video clips that have audio.  If aftereffects can do its should be an easy port no? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it would be very useful. Really needed it yesterday for a project where a subject was showcasing their work place enviroment and I needed to speed up through a few bits then return to normal speed and continue along with the audio still in sync. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soon 2022 and still not fixed 🤣🤣🤦‍:male_sign:
Half of my time using Premiere is spent troubleshooting or finding workarounds
Gotta love Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're having so much trouble, maybe you should explore other options...  This may sound snarky, but that's not my intention..   You'll probably find just as many issues in the alternatives, but not necessarily the same ones...  software authoring is complex and decisions that are made early on can create limitations many years down the road...   Eventually, most pieces of complex editing software are rewritten from the ground up to take advantage of advances in the OS and in the hardware but this is often at 20 year intervals and usually creates new issues.  Look at apple, throwing out the baby with the bathwater when they ditched fcp7...  That said, you can try blackmagic design's davinci resolve.  There's a free version that has almost all the features of the paid version which is a very reasonable $300 for a perpetual license...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just because [something something other tool] doesn't absolve Adobe of having an incomplete feature for over 13 years (the first post here was 2009). The Time Remapping tool should help us with a video's linked audio track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is hilarious... I've been using Rush but thought I'd try to learn Premiere. Found this ANCIENT thread saying, basically, you can't link audio with time easily and if you want to do so you're just wrong. 

The hilarious part is the ultra basic Premiere Rush I have been using does this just fine, but the 1000x more complicated "Pro" Premiere makes you jump through hoops to do this simple task. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines