• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Press Play: Delay before playhead starts moving. Press again, it won't stop: Premiere Pro 14.3.1

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe!!!! Why can't you fix something without breaking something else?

Installed 14.3.1 hoping it would fix my problem of my playhead jumping around to incorrect parts of a clip while scrubbing an interpreted clip. Before I could see if that was fixed I ran into an equally bad bug. After installing 14.3.1, I press the space bar and there's a delay before the playhead starts moving. Then press spacebar again to stop playing and there is a delay before it stops. CC 2020 was a mess at launch but I finally upgraded from Premiere CC 2019 (13.1.5) last month, figuring that this late in the year it would be running smoothly. Ever since I upgarded from CC 2020, when I close Premiere, it stays open in task manager. I closed out my project to write this post and after Premiere closed, it's still open in Task Manager and sitting at 8.4% in the CPU tab, 47,189.8GB in the Memory tab, and Very High in the Power Usage tab. I'd go back to 13.1.5 which ran perfectly fine for me if I hadn't migrated most of my projects over to CC 2020 already.

You're killing me, Adobe! Uninstalling 14.3.1 and going back to 14.3 fixed the delayed playhead issue. But I'm still stuck with the scrubbing issue and Premiere using system resources (CPU and Ram) and remaining open in Task Manager after exiting.

Windows 10, i7-6950x, 64GB Ram, 2080 Ti

Task Manager.jpg

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for the issue, Tony. 

When I hear of weirdness like you are experiencing, I always suspect either project corruption or media cache. It's not hard to troubleshoot those items. Let's dig in:

You can try deleting media cache with all projects closed from Preferences > Media Cache, then try opening your project.

If that is still not working, and you are still having such issues, try creating a new project and then importing sequnces from that older project into the new one. That works for a lot of people who upgrade mid-project (which most editors try to avoid because of such problems). 

The only other thing that is suggested is to see if one of your expressly created backups will work (many editors "Save A Copy" manually on a daily basis). If you don't have backups created, please check the Auto Save folder for a potential back up you can work from. If there is nothing there, you can see if one exists in the Adobe > Premiere Pro folder in your Creative Cloud folder.

While your issue is not widespread, and sounds project specific, I have noticed a few other Windows users with similar issues and I will dig in more to investigate on your behalf. It would be nice to have a bit more info:

1. What is the media codec? 
  2. What camera shot the media?
  3. How large is the media in terms of frame size?
  4. Are you using proxies in your workflow?
  5. Does the media exist on a separate SSD connected via a high speed connection or is it living on your boot drive?

Please check system requirements to make sure you meet or exceed requirements. For example, you have a good deal of RAM and a good GPU, but a Gen 6 CPU which only meets the bare system requirements for HD video, if it's Long GOP H.264 video, then you really should be using transcodes or proxies with that CPU. You also didn't mention a media drive, which I feel is crucial.

FYI, system requirements have been raised recently, so you may have to revisit what we are recommending for a smoothly operating workfow. While this may not be your core issue, it's something you definitely want to note.

Hope I can help.

Thank you,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines