Highlighted

preview/render files get 'lost'in premiere pro cc 2020

New Here ,
May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the latest version of Premiere Pro CC and After Effects CC on a iMac Pro. I have 80 GB ram and at least 500 GB free space on my drive(s).

Each time I hit the render in-to-out option in Premiere Pro, it seems to render fine. However, when I then restart my premiere pro, they all seem to be lost. Red lines all over. 

More so: If I have premiere pro opened and after effects opened at the same time, and I have rendered in-to-out in Premiere Pro, then closing after effects, some or all rendered green sections turn red again. When I then start after effects again, they turn green again.

When I have rendered in-to-out in Premiere Pro without having opened After Effects, after rendering, when everything is green again, and I start After Effects, some or all green sections turn red again.

This behaviour causes me to render all the time, instead of editing. This is not acceptible. I am paying for the complete suite.

This happens since the last two 'premiere pro' updates.

Does anyone have a fix for this ? 

TOPICS
Error or problem, Export, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

preview/render files get 'lost'in premiere pro cc 2020

New Here ,
May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the latest version of Premiere Pro CC and After Effects CC on a iMac Pro. I have 80 GB ram and at least 500 GB free space on my drive(s).

Each time I hit the render in-to-out option in Premiere Pro, it seems to render fine. However, when I then restart my premiere pro, they all seem to be lost. Red lines all over. 

More so: If I have premiere pro opened and after effects opened at the same time, and I have rendered in-to-out in Premiere Pro, then closing after effects, some or all rendered green sections turn red again. When I then start after effects again, they turn green again.

When I have rendered in-to-out in Premiere Pro without having opened After Effects, after rendering, when everything is green again, and I start After Effects, some or all green sections turn red again.

This behaviour causes me to render all the time, instead of editing. This is not acceptible. I am paying for the complete suite.

This happens since the last two 'premiere pro' updates.

Does anyone have a fix for this ? 

TOPICS
Error or problem, Export, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 03, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you run a lot of continual Ae comps through a project. While I know of some who do that, most of the folks I know try to finish any Ae comp they can as early as possible and export a full clip out of Ae to replace the comp on the timeline. Far more stable, far better playback. Better export times at the end. Just for a thought.

Which disc do you have your Premiere/Ae cache files and rendered previews going to? For the work you're doing, I would recommend having a drive that's used just for media cache/cache database and preview files. And make sure both programs are run in Admin mode to ensure the OS isn't setting protected status on the cache files.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 03, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

Thank you for your answer. Yes, my PP projects normally have quite a few AE comps through dynamic linking. And while I know exporting a comp is probably more stable, faster in playback and export times, unfortunately my projects have many AE iterations throughout editing most of the time, so exporting every time a little change has been done is just too much hassle. Yes, I do see the benefits you're mentioning, but sometimes this is just not possible. Thus, I am quite dependent on dynamic linking for now.

I have two main drives, one where the footage/music/soundfx resides and one where my prproj and aep files and media cache/preview files reside. Both are nvme ssd's. The drive where the footage resides is connected with Thunderbolt 3 and has virtually the same speed as my project drive (which is the built in nvme ssd in the iMac Pro).

A few updates ago this issue didn't occur at all, and I could always access the preview files in PP whether I had AE opened or not. 

I am wondering whether there is a setting somewhere I missed...

Cheers,

Rick

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 04, 2020 0
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are times when the "suggested workflow" just isn't possible in what any of us needs to do. So yea, if you have to have multiple Ae comps and update them, ya gotta have them.

I'm not the greatest Ae person, as I avoid it whenever possible. I'll ask around though.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 04, 2020 0
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this behavior before and it's not enjoyable or ideal. You should definitely file a bug with a detailed explanation, hardware, exact software versions, screenshots, screen recordings, and anything that can clearly demonstrate the problem to the team. Here's the UserVoice link to file a bug: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects

To Neil's point, sometimes it just doesn't work the way it should. Have you tried the "Render and Replace" command from inside of Premiere, though? I will still use Dynamic Link for sending things over to AE, but my workflow is to duplicate my clip up a track, leaving the original, send my clip over through DL, then when it's done I'll right-click on it in PR and choose "Render and Replace." The benefit here is that after you do that you can always choose "Restore Unrendered" if you want to make a new version. Here's some info on that workflow and it's far more stable and gives consistent results: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/render-replace-effects-compositions.html#Replacerenderedc...

[Please use the "Reply" button under the FIRST POST to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2020 2
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting here, David!

To those who don't know, David is somewhat of an Ae guru type, I think most often posts on the Ae forum with The Great Szalam and other hot Ae folk. Hanging with David and "Szalam" at NAB for a bit is always an entertaining experience ... whether I understand much or not ...   😉

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello every one. I have the exact same issue. Every time I close a première CC2020 project with rendered clips/sequences,  and reopen Première I loose all my rendering.

I do not use much AE and the dynamic link, however I do use Warp stabilizer and I am working on a big wildlife project (4K, 26') which requires a lot of stabilization.

I have a quite powerful compuer, and I would like to file in a bug for Première (rather than AE). Could you kindly provide a link as the one provided by David but for Première? 

I have been working on première since 2006, and I have noticed browsing this forum that quite a lot of people have the same issue ... it is very unpleasant I think it is probably a bug that requires attention

Thanks in advance

Cris

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020 0