Highlighted

Pro 2020 Crashing on tracking

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys

Recently I've upgraded to the latest Premiere and what a regret it has been. The video lags, can't keep up.

I mostly use the software to blur faces out from Surveillance videos. The files are converted to mp4 h264 codec at the amazing pixel size dimensions of 848*480. It is ridiculous low-quality video and Premiere should spit it out in a second. The problem after upgrading was that I can't move forward or backward frame-by-frame as the video would not update fast enough to track people's faces. Also, using the automated tracking feature would crash the project right away. It was a hard crash as the app would simply close with no errors. So I did install Premiere 2019 and voilá, all systems go! I am working, and it is not lagging, and tracking works.

My specs are:

Video format - mp4 with h264 codec running 29.9fps with size 848*480

MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

16 GB Ram

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB

Any ideas?

Thanks

Topics

Crash, Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Pro 2020 Crashing on tracking

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys

Recently I've upgraded to the latest Premiere and what a regret it has been. The video lags, can't keep up.

I mostly use the software to blur faces out from Surveillance videos. The files are converted to mp4 h264 codec at the amazing pixel size dimensions of 848*480. It is ridiculous low-quality video and Premiere should spit it out in a second. The problem after upgrading was that I can't move forward or backward frame-by-frame as the video would not update fast enough to track people's faces. Also, using the automated tracking feature would crash the project right away. It was a hard crash as the app would simply close with no errors. So I did install Premiere 2019 and voilá, all systems go! I am working, and it is not lagging, and tracking works.

My specs are:

Video format - mp4 with h264 codec running 29.9fps with size 848*480

MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

16 GB Ram

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB

Any ideas?

Thanks

Topics

Crash, Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 26, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason for such instability is simple. Your hardware is obsolete. The fact that your machine is a 2010 model which is officially listed on Apple's Web site as "Obsolete worldwide," which means that repairs can no longer be performed, nor can replacement parts be obtained, at all at authorized Apple service centers. What's more, even for Windows, the HD 5770 and all other Terascale GPUs had already been EOSL'd by AMD itself (the Terascale was introduced by ATi when it was still independently owned, before it was bought up by AMD).

This trend in Adobe now officially requiring hardware that is much, much newer than yours just to even run properly dates back to the CC 2015.3 release, when Nvidia had announced the End Of Support for all first-generation CUDA GPUs. This trend continues with Premiere Pro 2019 - and now, Premiere Pro 2020 has become very picky about hardware age and compatibility.

In other words, the move towards a subscription model is one step up and two steps back. Adobe has drawn consumers in with a lowish entry-point cost, only to force users to spend more and more money on hardware upgrades and troublesome time-consuming fresh operating system reinstalls just to run its software properly. Adobe actually makes less profit in the CC apps, but the increasingly authoritarian hardware manufacturers profit big time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is that... obsolete equipment for sure, but it is working on latest 2019. Regardless, the video source is so low quality compared to nowadays that the computer should be more than enough. I will try running on my MacBookPro, latest and see if repeats. Adobe puts out upgrades and it's up to the consumer to do troubleshooting.

Will be back with an update as soon as I finish this project and move it to the laptop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In updating the code for simplification and stability for the 2020 version, a lot of older code for ancient gear was dumped. So ... yes, 2020 is less suited for older gear than earlier releases.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As others have said, your system is just too old to work with the latest program. That's just the way it is. It does sound like you've found the workaround you needed (and likely the only one for your case), which was to just stay with 2019. At least until you get a computer that was created within the last few years or so. Then upgrade and get all the new and amazing features that are coming out!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2020 0