Problem Exporting Captions. After export, subtitles are plain white and illegible.

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

Having an issue when exporting an srt file from Premiere Pro 2020. On my sequence I have added Open Captions, then slightly modified them with a black background and yellow font but when I Export --> Media ---> Captions to an srt. file, and then add the srt file to the media player on my desktop, the subs are just plain white and very difficult to read. Very frustrating. Any ideas?

Really could use a pointer please! Racking my brains here

Cheers,

Ciaran

TOPICS
Error or problem, Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Problem Exporting Captions. After export, subtitles are plain white and illegible.

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

Having an issue when exporting an srt file from Premiere Pro 2020. On my sequence I have added Open Captions, then slightly modified them with a black background and yellow font but when I Export --> Media ---> Captions to an srt. file, and then add the srt file to the media player on my desktop, the subs are just plain white and very difficult to read. Very frustrating. Any ideas?

Really could use a pointer please! Racking my brains here

Cheers,

Ciaran

TOPICS
Error or problem, Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 09, 2021 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

srt export often does not carry formatting, even if checking the "styling" box. Try .vtt or similar export.

What specific dot version are you running?

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2021 0
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Stan, Thanks for the reply!

I updated PremPro today 9th Jan 2021. 

My client asked for the file in .srt so I was hoping for that format when exporting. 

Open Caption also matches my sequence settings too. 

Yeah ive tried exporting without ticking the 'styling' box but same result unfortunately.

The subtitles looks so splendid in Prem Pro and then so bleak and plain when rendered 😅

Ciarán

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2021 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've run out of time, so posting this without completing my experiments. Let me know if you find any differences on what I am reporting!

The setting you are seeing is probably the default for the media player. When the srt (or whatever file format caption you are using) does not carry styling information, the player determines the appearance. In some cases, that is what you will see even if the srt carries formatting. You may get what you want by setting the player's defaults.

When you export the srt from PR, are you checking the box for "styling"? It will export font color, but NOT background.

PR is exporting 8 character Hex color. For example, in PR, if I open the color picker for caption text and check the "Only Web colors" box, the bottom right color for red (see the "# xxxx" box to the right) is #E00000. If I deselect that box, I may get something like #F7061B. But when PR exports the srt, it is adding 2 more characters and showing 8-digit hex - the last two being transparency. So, for example, #FF0000FF.

Using VLC player, I find that it will ignore non-Web colors with the added "FF." It will take 6-digit hex, even if non-web. And it will take 8-digit if web color only. 

As I said, I may be wrong!

I tried exporting stl. It did not carry the font info (VLC uses the default). It did carry position (VLC ignored).

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2021 0