Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem getting 608 & 708 captions for broadcast embedded

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to Premiere 15.1

I work in TV, and I need to provide my program to master control with both 608 & 708 captions embedded in the output file (mxf op1a). The new captioning function is cumbersome and seems to not allow me to do this anymore. 

I use .mcc and .scc captions files from a captioning service, and in previous versions of Premiere, I would just drop those on the timeline and check them using the wrench icon. The export with the "embed in output file" options selected. I always bring the exported file back into the project to make sure both captions are visible. 

With the new version, I am unable to get either 608, or 708 captions to export embedded. I have read that I can go back to v14 to export with my captions, but this is a short-term solution for a long-term problem. 

Has anyone found other workarounds? 

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both should be able to be embedded ... simultaneously actually.

You are using the Captions workspace to try this, and the Captions tracks at the top of the timeline panel there?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, using the new captions workspace. All captions are visible on the timeline, but none are present in the exported file. I am following the instructions for export from adobe for the new captions workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not good.

@TrentHappel  ... are you free for assistance?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same or similar issue with 15.1.  I use .mcc files (also tried .srt).  I can see the captions in Premiere.  I can export an mxf file with captions and if I pull it back into premiere, I can see the captions.  But VLC will not read the caption track and our broadcaster cannot see the caption track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eddieT333 , I am still having the same issue. I have just been keeping version 14 on my computer, exporting my project from v15, importing into 14 to add captions, and export again. It's not the most time efficient solution, but its working, and I am getting my stuff to air without it being rejected for missing captions. I'm not holding my breath for a speedy fix from adobe on this, since it has already been 5 months since I first reported the issue, several updates have passed, and its still a problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If version 14 is the same as Premiere 2020, that is what I used to do as well except the problem is now happening with that version as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for asking, but did you add the .scc as a CEA-608 Caption track and .mcc as a CEA-708 Caption track in the Timeline? 

By any chance did you use any of the effects under the Effects tab in Export Settings? (eg: Video Limiter, etc.) If so, we have an open issue with embedded caption export with this. A Possible workaround is to use the effects in your Timeline (eg: applied to an Adjustment Layer) rather than applying them on Export.

How did you create your Sequence? Was it from one of our supplied Sequence presets or did you create from a clip? We have an open issue with some non-standard frame rates (eg: 23.98 or variable frame rate) causing embedded caption export to fail. A possible workaround is to use one of our supplied Sequence Presets and then modify, if needed.

We are working on fixing the two issues I listed above, but provided possible workarounds until that happens (other than using Premiere Pro 14.x). 

Hoping this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I added the .scc as 608, and the .mcc as 708. 

On export, I do use the Loudness Normalization in the effects tab. I tried exporting without that, and I also made sure to use a sequence preset. I was able to get an export that did include 608 captions, but they don't look right (odd placement and font). However, this file doesn't include the 708 captions. I also noticed when I put the .scc file into the timeline, and the caption window pops up, and I select "CEA-608" as the type, it puts it on the timeline in two tracks, one that is labeled 608, but has no caption information in it, and one above that which is labeled Subtitle. The subtitle track is where the captions are showing up, and they don't look correct to what I am used to seeing 608 captions look like. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for verifiying. Those are definitely not good results.

Would it be possible to supply your .scc, .mcc and Project files? This would help with our investigation. You can PM me a link with the files, if you like.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines