• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem importing Quicktime file created by screen record in Mojave

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently discovered the Screen Record function in macOS Mojave (Shift + Command + 5).

This creates a Quicktime .MOV file.

However, when I try to import into Premiere Pro I get the following message: File Import Failure. We were unable to open the file on disc.

Any ideas how to get around this please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't replicate your issue on my Mac running Mojave.

It works as expected.

Can you open the file in QuickTime Player?

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue. I used the Screen record function in Mojave to record 3 videos. The lengths of these videos were 46:35, 04:02:48 and 01:12:52... file format is .MOV

The first video (46:35) imported into Premiere with no issue. I'm using the latest update of Premiere 13.1.2

The other 2 videos were unable to import and I received the same error notice as Richard G. I used Handbrake to find some settings that would give me a repaired file, which worked, but it only repaired the first 48 minutes of the other 2 files, approximately.

Long story short, I think there's an issue with the screen recording once you surpass this 47-49 minute mark. I've done everything short of purchasing a software repair service. And even then, I don't know if they can do anything to fix it.

I would love any suggestions, but unfortunately I think these files are doomed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the import failures in Premiere Pro are due to lack of Complex Edit List support. Some (but not all, for some reason) screen recordings from the Mojave app will include a Complex Edit List, which Premiere Pro does not currently support. In current versions of Premiere Pro (eg: 13.1, 13.1.1, 13.1.2), when you attempt to import the clip(s) and receive the File Import Failure warning, you should also see the red warning icon in the bottom right of Premiere Pro. Click on this (or go to Window menu > Events) and you will see the error listed in the Events panel. Select the warning then click the Details button in upper left and it will note why the clip failed (File contains a complex edit list).

I don't believe QuickTime Player Screen Recording creates a Complex Edit List, so that may be something that works for you. Jim_Simon also lists some possible options above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay this makes sense. I wasn't able to bring it into Media Encoder either.

Since I have 2 different videos that couldn't import, I did try both in multiple different projects, and always received this as the corresponding error.

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 8.50.25 AM.png

The file opens up in VLC and Quicktime just fine, so I believe the file itself does have some corruption. I believe it's more of a Screen Recorder issue through Mojave than a Premiere Pro issue. I'll use Jim_Simon's method next time. I appreciate the quick reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks like another issue... a bad issue. Basically, that is telling you that the Importer ran into a serious issue and this will affect other MPEG clip imports (you will need to Quit and Relaunch Premiere). Let me try some longer duration captures with Mojave's Screen Record and see if I can reproduce this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds good, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, no luck so far reproducing your issue. I have captured a number of screen recordings over an hour in duration and they either import without issue or fail due to Complex Edit List.

I realize the file size is quite hefty, but would it be possible to provide a failing clip to assist with investigation?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can definitely do that. Ideally I can put it on my Google Drive and share it to a private email address.

But I can use a different method if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much appreciated! I will PM you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes this is exactly what I'm experiencing right now. What can I do to solve it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am here for the same reason.  I made one using QuickTime but I can't import it, it says complex edit list. Clip is 45 seconds, and this worked fine 2 weeks ago when I last did it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

found a solution, in case you see this

open file in QuickTime, export at 1080p. or whatever. worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked!! THANK YOU!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Life Saver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend using hardware recorders for screen capture.  They record to industry standard formats and...just work.

Products like the Ninja or Shogun series from Atomos and the HyperDeck series from Blackmagic Design, etc., are perfect for this type of thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simplest workaround I found (thanks to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXN0jMA-gxs) is to simply rename the .MOV file extension to .mp4 and then import. No true converting or file repair necessary. It's almost too simple. 

This short video shows you a workaround for the bug in Premiere Pro where the program only imports the audio track from .mov files. This quick workaround allows you to grab both the audio and video content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nice. That worked. But seriously Adobe. Get it together. Ever since the update to Premiere 2020 I'm having some serious problems playing back random media which resulted in me having to delete my cache multiple times which I am not really fond of! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for this, this worked when exporting from quicktime didn't. i run into similar issues when i try and import a screen recording from my iphone as well. usually can export from quicktime without issue there though. this is just such an annoying thing, and given that these are .mov files, one would think they would easily import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too, talk about a simple solution! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you, it worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked to import, but when you play it or do some edit it gets really slow and unstable. The best solution to me it's export it, as some people here in this thread did.

Premiere 2020 sucks. Each update I give it a try but then I go back to 2019. Way faster, no bugs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked! I spent a lot of time editing 4 screen records within quicktime, then exported them at 4K like I usually do (I didn't do much editing within quicktime before so had no problems before).  The 2 shorter ones opened up with media encoder, the more complex ones didn't. After renaming the problem .mov files to .mp4 they opened up just fine! Thanks ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines