Problem with Adjustment Layer

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello eveyrone,

I have been trying to use adjustment layers to change a video from color to black and white. Each time I create the layer, I select Color Balance (HLS) and I use keyframes to go from 0 to -100 saturation. When I do this, the entire video changes to black and white, not just the point of the keyframe change. It doesn't matter how many ways I have tried this, it will not work. I have looked at several Youtube videos to no avail. Please help.

TOPICS
Editing, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

first, Please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card and your source properties and sequence settings...

I'm a great believer in workarounds.  why not blade the clip into 2 pieces and make the second piece black and white and add a dissolve to transition from color to black and white.  You can make a clip black and white in several ways:  using the lumetri panel to set saturation to 0, effects:  image control: black and white, etc.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
ashonc AUTHOR
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm using MacOS Catalina, 3.7GHz 6t-Core Intel Core i5

I've tried using the Lmetri panel to set the saturation to 0 and it does not work. Each time I attempt this, all the keyframes change in the sequence to either black and white or color. I've also attempted to use the Calculations in Video Effects; what this does is the same ... it will either change everything to black and white or everything to color. Even when I try to adjust the keyframes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try and understand my frustration when you cherrypick which questions to answer. If you do not understand my questions or how to answer them, say so...   What version of premiere are you using?   And what are your hardware specs (RAM, graphics card, etc)?  what model mac do you have? Have you tried using the blade tool to divide your clip into 2 parts one with color and one black and white and dissolve between the 2? It's virtually impossible for us to help you unless you approach this in a systematic fashion.    

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
ashonc AUTHOR
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can able to understand your query , so you want to apply b and w fx for particular seconds on the screen 

you can try it by trimming your adjustment layer to the particular place or time you need .as per my knowlege you will require keyframe , if you want to smooth transisition between color to black and white so try to trim the layer of adjustment to timeline where you need and check it 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ashonc - I have a few thoughts to add in addition to the already solid advice provided.  I would enjoy seeign a screen shot of the way in which you have created the keyframes.  This will confirm something for us, I hope you can post a screen shot of the keyframe placed on that adjustment layer.  In the mean time,  this is the how I did it...

HLS Color.JPG

This worked perfect where it starts in color, then fades to BW,  runs for a bit, then fades back to color.

IF your keyframe points dont look like this, then it will not work;   If you need further explanation on why the keyframe graph needs to look like this, or how to do it, let me know.   I have additional thougts,  based on what your response is, but wanted to keep this a concise response specific to what you asked for.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry One more thing...  You have to enable the keyframes, before you start to edit the keyframes,  this screen grab shows the button to push, its universal to all effects,  the blue one in the screen shoot, press it first then start the key frame (I posted a responsea few min ago, and forgot to include this very first step to enable keying for the effect....

KeyFrame Enable.JPG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines