Highlighted

Problem with video return when a change the speed (speed ramp) and change of color grading in export

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have two issues with lately versions of premiere. The firs, most commom, is the different color grading when a export the file. Always, in the newest versions, I have that issue. Is a totally different color correction and color grading and this is pretty bad.

The other is a different return in my video, when I make some speed ramp I can't see the right frame of the video. The screen shows me a different frame of video and this disturbed a lot in the process.

I wanna know if have some way to solve this problems, because cause a lot trouble in my time and the experience in edit on premiere.

Topics

Error or problem, Export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Problem with video return when a change the speed (speed ramp) and change of color grading in export

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have two issues with lately versions of premiere. The firs, most commom, is the different color grading when a export the file. Always, in the newest versions, I have that issue. Is a totally different color correction and color grading and this is pretty bad.

The other is a different return in my video, when I make some speed ramp I can't see the right frame of the video. The screen shows me a different frame of video and this disturbed a lot in the process.

I wanna know if have some way to solve this problems, because cause a lot trouble in my time and the experience in edit on premiere.

Topics

Error or problem, Export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 21, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your system ... OS, monitor, and color management settings?

What are you viewing the export in after exporting, and ... is it different if you re-import the exported file into Premiere?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2020 3
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay. When I re-import the file, I can see the difference, is not the same out premiere. Even I export again, its have difference. So in premiere have a different visual colors even when I put a export file.

I use a iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019), macOS Catalina 10.15.4 and a Lumetri Color for correction and grading, using a LUT (made in Photoshop).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 29, 2020 0
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to make a screen recording of the problem you're experiencing and post that here as an embedded YouTube link?

Thanks very much.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 23, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay. I will try put a video on youtube for you see.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 29, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put a quick video for you see. I don't edited it.

Is about the issue with real time viewing of the file.

That's the link:

https://youtu.be/Sr6llDyTEG4

Thanks!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 03, 2020 0
Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Apple people in all their immense wisdom built a pretty monitor and ecosystem that does NOT adhere to Rec.709 standards when displaying Rec.709 material.

Among other things ... the monitors work in the P3 color primaries, which are larger and off-centered towards one 'corner' of the triangle of the space. Then the ColorSync utility applies only first part of the required two-part transforms in the Rec.709 specs. They apply the camera transform, but not the also required display transform function.

Throw in a mis-applied gamma ... they say ColorSync applies "sRGB gamma" ... which there really isn't such a thing, but the gamma for sRGB/video Rec.709 is 2.4 for semi-darkened room or 2.2 for 'bright' room editing/color. What does ColorSync do? Roughly sort of like 1.96 or 1.98, but with "an odd flat-shaped area near the bottom".

Then they specced the monitors out typically between 250 and 400 nits brightness, WAY above the 100 nits for Rec.709 media. And don't adjust the brightness when displaying Rec.709 flagged media.

So ... the color space, gamma, display transform, and brightness are all off from Rec.709 standards. Sweet!

Premiere is built to run on systems set for stock standard Rec.709. If you're using most anything but a full Rec.709 calibrated/profiled monitor, you should have the 'Display color management" option checked on in the Preferences/General tab. Premiere will then attempt to re-map the images on the internal monitors to get as close as possible to a Rec.709 image.

However ... as soon as you take that file outside of Premiere on that Mac ... all bets are off as to what it will look like because of the above noted issues with the Mac "ecosystem". As Mac Retinas are less than 10% of the screens in the US, and lower than that elsewhere, it is a problem on Macs but all professional colorists export to the Rec.709 standard on a Rec.709 calibrated/profiled monitor, and then just let it go. It will look relatively like all other professionally produced media on any system/screen it is then displayed on.

Next ... I don't know if you know the proper place to store user built/acquired LUTs, which is NEVER in the Program/Package folder location. Those are only for the included ones, which are always accessed by relative location ... 'the third item down' in computer alphanumeric sort practices.

Users need to store your LUTs in the locations of the following chart ... you do need to add the final Technical and Creative folders, and the LUTs in the Technical folder will appear sorted in the Basic tab, the Creative folder in the Creative tab.

To organize them, I add a prefix to each LUT ... number/letter combinations. 01, 02, etc ... as the 'upper' folders, and then a letter for any 'subfolder' sorting. So "01 A BrownGritty" would always be before "01 B GreenPush".

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 03, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, thanks for the help.

I think I understood. I tryed to calibrate the monitor in settings of iMac, I changed to Rec. 709 Gamma 2.4. But have the same issues, have difference compare to premiere. I downloaded a configuration too for test, is better, but continued having the difference.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 0