• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems scrubbing timeline with re-timed video

Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often shoot at a higher frame rate than the final project requires. This allows me to slow the footage down without any tricks or degradation.

However, in Premiere Pro 2020, I can no longer reliably scrub through the footage.

I take some video at, say, 60fps. I bring it into Premiere Pro. I right-click and choose Modify / Interpret Footage / Frame Rate / Assume this frame rate: and enter 30.0 fps.

I create a new sequence which runs at 30 FPS, and drag my footage into it. My footage now runs at ½ speed. Great. This is what I want.

However, when scrub through the footage, it does not display properly in the preview window. Instead, it jumps between the footage under the playhead (at the current time) and footage from the beginning of the clip.

So, as I scrub forward, instead of seeing:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

I see:

1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 5, 6, 1, 2, 7, 8, 1, 9, 1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 1, 2, 12, 1, 2, 13, 14, 1, 2

I have done this literally hundreds of times, but have never experienced this problem until I moved from Premiere Pro 2019 to Premiere Pro 2020 and from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

I have similar problems if I re-time the footage in the Premiere sequence. For example, if I take a chunk of 60fps video and choose Speed / Duration and set it speed to 50%.

I’ve uploaded a video to YouTube which I hope illustrates the problem. Sorry for the weird camera phone video; I was having trouble getting other screen capture to work and display the problem.

https://youtu.be/2BOIDfPbbr0

My system:

Windows 10 Pro (v1909; build 18363.1016)
Premiere Pro 2020 (v14.3.2; build 42)

64GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super / 8GB GDDR6

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody else does this? Or nobody else has problems doing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently having this problem right now and it's driving me crazy. Did you ever figure out a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please tell us your source properties.  Media Info is a handy tool for this

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Can you tell us where your source footage comes from?  Is it by any chance from a screen capture program or a smartphone?

If so the problem may be that some of your sources have a variable frame rate which premiere sometimes has a problem with.

If that's not the problem, it may be that your source is an mpeg format and you might do better transcoding to an all iframe format like prores.   Would make sense that an mpegformat might have issues with interpreting to a different frame rate.  A proxy workflow might also solve the problem (using something like prores proxy) but you'd still go back to your original sources when you do an export.

Happy to explain the basic ins and outs of mpegformats like h264 but don't want to waste your or my time if you already understand this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you might also be able to scrub if you render the section in the timeline before trying to scrub...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines