Problems with Canon R files on premiere running on Mac

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problems with Canon R files on premiere running on Mac

I just got a canon R as a second camera. When importing the 4 K files from the Canon R into Premiere they are slow and lag when played back.

I’m using a Mac Pro book mid 2014 with Mac OS Sierra 10.12. 6.

What can I do to make it work better? Or is the computer to old?  When trying to use the media encoder to transform the files to H264, it sees to take ages for each clip.

Perhaps that’s the only way. Or? When using Pro Res HQ files recorded on a Canon C100/Ninja everything runs perfect.

Thanfull for tips! Best Erik

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to add I'm using Premiere 13.1.5

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me move this to the Premiere forum for you, which is the appropriate forum for your question.

The Using the Community forum is for help in using the Adobe Support Community forums, not for help with specific programs. Product questions should be posted in the associated product community.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Thanks. Where do I find that forum?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already moved your post to the correct forum. I assumed Premiere Pro, but if you're using Premiere Elements let us know and someone will move you again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes its premiere pro

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

h264 in not good for editing in general, if you add to the mix 4K and old hardware, it just become unuseable. As a solution, you can either transcode to ProRes422, or use proxies. I'd use latter, since it does not require that much storage space.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for you answer. I will probably buy a new computer in the near future but until then I will transcode the material.

Do I understad you right that what you mean with proxies is low res material?

best

Erik

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Proxies are lower-resolution copies of your media that are created for ease of editing. At the time of export full-res media is used instead. Useful article: 3 Ways to Work with Proxies in Premiere Pro - Frame.io Insider

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines