• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with Premiere edit after changing from Mac to PC

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone. Recently I did an upgrade to a really fast custom made PC. Previously I was editing my documentary on Premiere on Mac -- but decided to make the change over as cutting 4k was too slow on that system. So after re opening the edit on PC premiere - I came across some major problems. In the timeline of my film - many of the clips now have blue or grey lines across them - and even more terryfying, some clips have been totally replaced by clips that I never put in the edit. Adobe have come back to me with a very simplistic response - that I should just go back to Mac. But that's simply not possible as it is too slow for me to edit with fluidity etc. Could I hypothetically rebuild the whole project file - so I could import the time line I have been editing - and then import all the clips again? Any advice is very much appreciated. Surely this is something many of us have to do - and we shouldn't face such an injustice from a proffesional editing programme. Thanks for your advice 🙂 

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Formats , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working with Proxy media at all? I've seen a similar issue when moving from one machine to another (both PCs) where proxies were incorrectly reconnected and replaced the wrong clips.

As a test to narrow down the problem, after opening the project on your PC where everything gets messed up, can you save a copy of that and then open it back up on the Mac? Is everything still messed up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David, 

Thanks for this info. 

I have re-opened the proj file on my mac after the PC mess up - and the project is fine - all the clips are how they should be. 

Any idea of how to solve this problem when I go to open on PC?

Cheers, 

Ross 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Without seeing the project in its entirety, this is a challenge to diagnose. I would go simple and really try to narrow things down. Find one clip that definitely causes the problem, make a new version of the project with just that clip in whatever sequence it was edited in, then send that back to the PC. If the problem still happens, then I would try to create a new project, import the old one into it, and see if that helps. If the problem doesn't happen, then you need to keep iterating. Try an entire folder of clips, or try to remove all effects, especially if they're third-party ones. Unfortunately, this is probably going to require trial and error to diagnose, because you definitely should be able to (and I have for years) go between macOS and Windows with no issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There can be differences in how Macs and PCs 'list' the locations of media, and that will cause things like this. The two OSs don't use identical link structures. So re-linking the problematic clips may be necessary.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Neil. 

Is there a way to relink clips manually one at a time? Even though this will be a major hassle - will it save me?

Ross 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the clips a question mark in the bin, select a file in a bin, right-click, select Link, and then a locate box should come up. Navigate to the file location. Select the file, click the Locate button.

See if bringing in a couple clips this way helps. If it does, you might be able to locate them in groups by folder on disc.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can go between Mac and PC. It might be a driver issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a project with a client who works on a mac.  My best editing machine is a windows machine.  I have a clone of her media drive.  When I launch the project on the windows machine it may take 5 minutes or so to relink some of the files.  Before I send the project file back to her, I open it on my macbookpro and relink...  again, it takes a few minutes.  Not ideal, but it's been rock solid, except of course when she forgets to give me the media that she's put on her desktop.   

Just make sure that you don't have any file names with things like periods or asterisks or question marks or slashes (which people often use to add the date to the file name) which can cause serious issues.   And endless nests of folders within folders may be problematic depending on the OS.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines