Highlighted

Problems with PSD files imported into Premiere: links keep breaking

Participant ,
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm editing a children's storytime for a library and we are using scanned images from the picture book.  I've done this several times where I scan all the images in photoshop, put them in one document as separate layers and then import the whole thing into Premier.

Today, the links keep breaking. My drive is fine, and what is weirder, is that only some of the layers are not showing up. You can see this in the image below.  I've tried relinking the media but I get a file import failure message.  I've restarted the computer, and I have already once reimported the entire PSD document and replaced all the images I had put on the timeline so far.

Any ideas? 

TOPICS
Error or problem, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Problems with PSD files imported into Premiere: links keep breaking

Participant ,
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm editing a children's storytime for a library and we are using scanned images from the picture book.  I've done this several times where I scan all the images in photoshop, put them in one document as separate layers and then import the whole thing into Premier.

Today, the links keep breaking. My drive is fine, and what is weirder, is that only some of the layers are not showing up. You can see this in the image below.  I've tried relinking the media but I get a file import failure message.  I've restarted the computer, and I have already once reimported the entire PSD document and replaced all the images I had put on the timeline so far.

Any ideas? 

TOPICS
Error or problem, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 19, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

first tell us the version of premiere and photoshop you're using.  They should match... if not that might be the source of the problem.    What are the pixel dimensions of the photoshop files?  very large pixel dimensions might be problematic.  And is the psd file rgb?  And although I understand why you want to bring them in as a single file, maybe as a workaround, it's better to just bring them in as individual files...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2020 0
Participant ,
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded both two days ago. Which makes me wonder if there is a bug in the new version(s)? I had not encountered this problem until now.

They are all RGB. Premiere won't even let you import a CMYK to begin with, whereas in my case, everything was successfully imported and working until it didn't.  They are quite large files:  12,000 x 7020 allowing me to zoom in on detail. But I have also done that in the past.  Perhaps I am just a little bit over what it will handle? It is a 1.95 GB PS file, so that could be an issue. I can try breaking it in two and see what happens.  The previous successful one was nearly 1.7 GB.

I also noticed that changes I made in the PSD document were not updated in the timeline, which is a bit frustrating. I assumed that dynamic link should work for tweaks make to layers in Photoshop.

And yes, I did finally give up and export them all as PNGs, but having the ability to import the whole PSD is a lot nicer and more efficient.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2020 0
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's always dangerous to update in the middle of a project.  cmyk are for printing... not video, so that's why that didn't work.  .  1.95 GB Photoshop file is enormous and probably at least part of the problem.    I"ve never imported a photoshop file bigger than 30 mb...  If you need files that large, I'd suggest you try doing the animation in After Effects...  but that's just a guess.  what's the dpi on the photoshop file?  You don't need more than 72 dpi...  it's only the pixel dimensions that are important.    How many layers are there?   Ya know, you can throw almost anything at premiere and it'll take it... doesn't mean you shoud...  bwdik.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2020 0
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2020 0