• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Program Monitor going black while editing

Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have attached my cpu/gpu specifications (AMD 3900x cpu w Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080). This has never happened to me before (even when I had a weaker cpu). I open up Premiere and can only edit for 5-10 min before the program monitor goes black. And it won't recover unless I restart the application.

The particular project I'm working on is admittedly intense (6k RAW Red cam footage) and I'm in the color correction phase. However, again, I have worked under these conditions in the past and have never experienced these issues. I'm running the latest version of Premiere and have installed all the latest drivers provided by NVIDIA. Any tips, very much appreciated!

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried setting your renderer to software only? I know it's not ideal, but just to check if it makes a difference.

RendererSoftwareOnly.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks. Yeah I did that but it slows me down even more (takes forever to update the preview after I make a grading adjustment). At this point, I'm better offusing the cuda engine until the program monitor goes black and repeatedly restarting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without going into details, my progam monitor is going black too.  A computer reset fixes it.

Its an anoying issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not count on Windows to be fully up to date when it comes to device drivers
Go to the vendor site to be sure you have an updated driver for your graphic adapter
•nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
•ATI Driver https://www.amd.com/en/support
There are also intermittent reports that the newest driver is not always the best driver due to driver bugs or compatibility issues, so you MAY need to try an earlier driver version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate this. Do you know what the easiest way to roll back drivers is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@klos315 The link that @John T Smith posted is how I've done driver roll-backs before (at least for Nvidia.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the EXACT same issue but with 8K R3D files and my system is a newly built AMD 5950X, RTX 3090 FE GPU. I can edit for a few mins then the program monitor goes black. I have to close and re-open Premiere to fix it but then the cycle repeats. GeForce drivers 460.89 (12/15/2020), Premiere Pro 14.7.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it looks like this is a common thing I'm having the same issue with an Intel system running a 2080 super and editing Standard apsc Sony footage.  I'm able to go about a good 20 min before the screen with randomly go black.  I still am able to hear audio and move things around but no graphics...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently had an issue with the Program Monitor going black. A prefs reset fixed it for me. Hold Alt while Premiere is loading up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

have you considered a proxy workflow?  can be a little tricky to set up but once you've wrapped your head around it, it's usually rock solid.  And your exports will always refer to your camera original...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines