• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Project Manager - collect files when using Replace with AE Compositions - HELP!

Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

I'm teaching myself Premiere this year. Happy 2018!

Inadequately small hard drive on my laptop, so i'm trying to get my head around how to package and consolidate files reliably.

After Effects' consolidate files is fairly intuitive, but i'm a little confused by Premiere's Project Manager. (Incidentally, is this the correct way to do this?)

I'm not sure if i'm using proper terminology or if i can even explain my issue clearly, so i'll just run down a simplification of what happened.

Just know that this is simplified for me—not you, dear reader.

Let's say in Premiere i've got two clips in my sequence:

1. a tree

2. a bicycle

I want to put titles on the tree clip so i right click on the tree clip and do Replace with After Effects Composition. This opens up After Effects, and i save a new After Effects project and do some magic on the tree. When i go back to Premiere, i see the tree now looks awesome! Great. That was easy.

Now that i'm finished, I want to collect everything and move it elsewhere because my laptop is wimpy. But i only want the clips i need, so in Premiere i use Project Manager — Collect Files to New Location and i check Exclude Unused Clips.

This gives me a new folder with:

1. Premiere project file

2. After Effects project file

3. Bicycle footage

But no tree footage. Premiere is no longer using the tree clip because it replaced it with an After Effects Composition so Premiere doesn't bother copying it.

This is my scary problem. What should i be doing differently to avoid losing my trees?

Any workflow suggestions, or was there a mistake i made?

Thank you for reading.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Hi leather.bird,

Sorry that Project Manager won't work for every workflow. Some items do require workarounds and this is one of them. If backing up your project is vital with all files intact, you can always render out files from AE > AME and replace the AE comps in your timeline. Then, project manager should function. Sorry that it is not as intelligent as you'd like. File a feature request/bug here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi leather.bird,

Sorry that Project Manager won't work for every workflow. Some items do require workarounds and this is one of them. If backing up your project is vital with all files intact, you can always render out files from AE > AME and replace the AE comps in your timeline. Then, project manager should function. Sorry that it is not as intelligent as you'd like. File a feature request/bug here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines