• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Project Manager - Consolidate and Transcode problems

Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A while back I had several issues with clips not trimming properly during the Consolidate and Transcode process. I reached out to Adobe support and was given this fairly comprehensive list of when and why clips will fail. For some reason, this list is not posted publicly anywhere. I've copied it in it's entirely below. I've bolded several line items I feel are fairly important. There are now essential features in Premiere that I skip using (such as the Master Clip Effect layer) since it breaks the archive process.

These issues affect all versions of Premiere, including the current CC2017 version - 11.1.2 (22)

Hopefully this will help some people with project management.

• If any one of the 4 major video parameters (frame size, frame rate, fielding, PAR) do not match or are not supported by Preset/codec, then entire clip will copy.
  • If the clip has multiple stereo channels of audio. These can only transcode to QuickTime, all other formats(e.g.: DNxHD) will fail and copy, since the other exporters do not support multi-stereo (QuickTime is the only exporter that currently supports that and only with uncompressed audio)
  • Time remapping is not supported. Will copy entire clip without warning.
  • There area number of formats/presets that are not supported for transcode (e.g. mostly still formats)
  • Merged Clips are not supported.
  • Copy of folder structures (e.g.: P2, AVCHD, etc.) is not supported. Depending on format, some files may be left out or other issues.
  • Master Clip Effects are not supported, and will be copied without no warning. This includes all the formats that now have source settings as Master Clip Effects (e.g.: R3D, ARRI, etc.)
  • Audio only files
  • If used in a merged clip. Unused merged clips will also copy.
  • Render and Replace files, even if unused
  • Clips with dual mono (2 mono) will copy, although they may also transcode (this is a known bug), but the project will always link to the copied clip and not the transcoded clip (using up even more space)
  • Clips with single mono audio will also fail to transcode.
  • Modify > Audio Channel changes may also result in failure to transcode.
Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Projects or collaboration , User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
43 Comments
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A.   Just to focus on one of the points... Audio Clips only. So if it's a music track...??!!

B   "Master Clip Effects are not supported, ... source settings ...(e.g.: R3D, ARRI, etc.)". So all raw media.??!!!

Basically it would have to be a pretty basic Project / TL to enable a good consolidation. And we're paying subscription for this.!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PHVP  wrote

A.   Just to focus on one of the points... Audio Clips only. So if it's a music track...??!!

Correct, music tracks (wavs, MP3s) will not be consolidated. They will only be copied over (and no message or indication that a copy took place, even if consolidate is selected)

PHVP  wrote

B   "Master Clip Effects are not supported, ... source settings ...(e.g.: R3D, ARRI, etc.)". So all raw media.??!!!

Not just raw media, ALL media. If you have any sort of video clip and you apply an effect on the Master Clip level and attempt to consolidate, that file will be copied regardless of your consolidate settings and it will NOT give you any sort of error or message that the file was not consolidated.

consolidate.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it breaks the archive process.

Well, it breaks your archive process.

To my thinking, the best archive process is to copy the full card over to the archive location and leave it there in perpetuity.  Do this with a proper file manager like Windows Explorer or Finder as a first step, before you even copy the media to the working drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon

I should have been more specific regarding the word "archive." It breaks the archive functionality of the Consolidate and Transcode option of the Premiere Project Manager.

This thread is not about file organization, it's about a specific function in Premiere. I'm currently sitting on about 100TB of raw footage that we have to pare down for archive. "Copying the full card to the archive" is not a valid archive solution, hence this thread pertaining to the non-working Consolidate and Transcode functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

about 100TB of raw footage

Damn, dude!  Even with the largest file sizes possible (4K Uncomprssed RAW), that's well over 500 hours of footage.  What kind of project are you working on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is 6 months worth of projects. We're a 24/7 network and shoot daily. Suffice it to say, a working consolidation workflow is absolutely essential for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have DaVinci Resolve, you could use that to consolidate - Kinda!. Not perfect but a possible workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is 6 months worth of projects.

That makes more sense.  But then I'm kind of back to what I feel is the better archive method.

Keep it all.  A 4TB external can be had for about $100 these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have neither the time nor the space to keep everything, nor do we NEED to keep everything. Once a project is done and edited, we no longer need the raw footage. We only need the media used in the project (plus 10 sec handles). With a proper consolidate and transcode, we can take a project from 1TB down to 50GB using ProRes422HQ as an intermediate codec. We're not going to take a 95% loss in storage efficiency because of a crippled functionality of Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2019 Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically you're saying the project manager is pretty useless... by that list, in 99% of the cases you simply can't archive your projects.

The guys at Adobe should really get their heads together and address this problem,  it is a big issue that been around for too long (we already at PPro cc 2019).

most of the projects today have mixed materials (different formats, fps, resolotion, etc.) - Project manager most be able to deal with it successfully.

MAKE IT WORK guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2019 May 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Dror82 & Jeff Bugbee,

unfortunately this appears to still be the case with cc2019 -

"Project Manager" calculates an estimated output project size of 56Gb for a 207Gb project,

I hit OK, wait for the "transcode" and still get a 189Gb project - and an error message that some files couldn't be transcoded

Our client wants a trimmed copy for their archive, and I do too.....

it looks like best option is still:

1. make a new project
  2. import the final sequence and all content used with it
  3. deal with the file size

which is exactly what I did to get this project file size down to 200Gb anyway

that isn't what I expected from "Project Manager"

Please Adobe, you can do better surely?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure you know this but what's happening is that 56GB estimate is for if everything can be trimmed down. Since it's not, use that checklist and see if any of your clips fall within those parameters. This post is almost 3 years old now so perhaps some of it is fixed but you should be able to narrow down what is preventing you from properly trimming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You absolutely right and that's the sad thing... Over 3 years and nothing

was changed/fixed.

I'll take my chance of sounding a little bit angry and add to the

matter... (It's

not anger it's disappointment)

Adobe do absolutely nothing with it

If Adobe wants video editors to totally imbrace Ppro It must bring it up a

notch.

I really enjoying editing on ppro and if I could I would work only on it,

but poor post-project media management is not an option for me... Its a

deal braker for 80% of my projects

that's the reason most of my projects still being edit on Avid

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

After a lot of trial and error we found a workaround to make trimmed down consolidates of our projects.

- Make a duplicate project from the last project, name it something like "ProgramX_Archive".

- Render and replace all the media of the final sequence, and select a specific folder, don't select "next to original media file". We also include 50 frames handles.

- Temporarily rename the folder with the original footage, so Premiere thinks the original media went offline.
Doesn't matter, since the render and replaced media is still online.
- This is now your trimmed down project.

Best way to check if verything worked out is to render and replace to another hard drive, so you can check if everything works after you totaly disconnect the drive/sever with the original media.
Another great way of archiving the audio is to make an AAF from it, and then import it back in the sequence.

Ruben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ruben - thank you for your post with a solution and to the OP for outlining the problems (which I've just run in to). Information on this seems very thin. Very pleased and grateful to have come across something so helpful as your workaround.

An additional problem I have is Premiere copying all my proxies too. It would be useful to be able to choose whether they are included or not (I am having to maually hide them and force them offline).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - that probably explains what I'm seeing too. (Premiere 2018 as of Octobe 2020.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This actually used to work for me with many different profects. I got nice small trimmed H265 clips of the parts I used on the timeline in my final sequence when I used the consolidate and archive tool and got my original 200GB raw footage down to few gigs. But since maybe one update back before the latest updates during Adobe MAX i've had the same problem. I just get the general error that "some clips could be transcoded and were copied". What is the intended function of TRANSCODE and consolidate if it accepts only 1% of formats/use cases? Any ETA when this will be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This all seems to continue to be a problem. The note about not consolidating clips modified to stereo explains why I'm getting copies.

The render + replace workaround has potential, going to test that out. AAF export/reimport could work for audio.

But really we need a *consolidate* option that works (ie transcode should be an option in addition - consolidate should be to native format).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SO, another year, and still no workable Media Manager... Am tired of copying hours of raw footage for a short edited video.
Has anyone tried PlumePack?
https://www.autokroma.com/PlumePack

It looks like my ideal solution - keep all files in their original format, but trim to just what is used. AND, it says that it can handle nested sequences, which is huge for me.
Just concerned about the number of known issues:

https://www.autokroma.com/blog/PlumePack-Limitations-Known-Issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just concerned about the number of known issues:

Thanks for mentioning PlumePack. Which "known issue" or limitations is a problem for you ?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if these gaffes have changed before the current version 23.1 Premiere? Or is there still the same mediocre work at the moment? In general, the Consolidation function is very useful when it is necessary to archive a project, reducing unnecessary frames and freeing up a lot of disk space. When will they finally take it up and make it fully functional and hassle-free? To take archive the project and nothing will be broken. I wrote a little earlier on the forum that the cropping function, which is very much in demand, does not work correctly. Then the point of all this is that it is being implemented into the Premiere product, which cannot be used to the full.

Can I ask an Adobe employee who is responsible for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transcode all camera originals to ProRes (or better yet, shoot ProRes to begin with) and drop them into Sequences with Video Previews set to matching ProRes and then most issues go away.

It does not have to be ProRes.  DNxHD also works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a lot of success with PlumePack.  I would recommend at least trying it.  I've never gotten the built in project manager to consolidate things correctly.  It is the one thing I miss from Avid.  Consolidating was never an issue with managed media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the experience of using it, Plume does not work correctly. When collecting files for consolidation and moving to a new space, Plume does not take into account some types of AE files and compositions. I personally encountered this that year. At the exit, I received a message about files that were not copied correctly. And this was confirmed by checking the project. Not all files were transferred. Imagine you have a big project and how much time you will spend collecting missing files placed throughout your system (I mean various effects, overlays, pictures, music, sound effects, etc.). It's not a sweet treat. The standard Premiere tool copies all the materials that you have in the project. But, there is one BUT. The file cropping function does not work properly. Thus, you do not save the workspace of your disks, but simply duplicate the project by collecting all the files in one place. These are all consolidation and pruning possibilities. And I've been writing about this feature for several years to the Adobe team. It's sad that no one sees this function as useful. I am sure that most of those who work with numerous projects are obliged to use this opportunity to save space on the hard disk. And this is not a small space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Baffy19 ,
PlumePack (the third party plugin for Premiere Pro you mentioned that we are developing at Autokroma) should take into account all kind of files for copy. It is even better for this than the native Project Manager ! You mentioned AE files / compositions : The native project manager only copies the AE project file, PlumePack does more than that : it also collects the AE compositions dependencies (image/video used in the composition). 
It is also better if you want to select only a part of your project, and/or to detect "unused" stuff. 
If you want to see the full comparison, we wrote an article about this. 
Sorry that you encountered such problem with PlumePack. Maybe it was a bug in older version. In any case if you try PlumePack a new time, you can send us the logs and we should fix quickly the issues you have (whatever if you are using the free or premium version). 
Only "Beta Codec" bugs (So Trimming with H264, H265 mainly) are harder to track and could not be fixed soon, but we generally fix quickly all other bugs quickly.
Also PlumePack has the advantage to show you exactly what it did with the analysis and report ! Which files it copied (successfully or not), which sequences it takes into account, etc.. 
Best,
Nicolas from Autokroma

Votes

Translate

Translate