• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Project Manager doesn't work - Can't roll back project to previous version

Contributor ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Project Manager routine doesn't work.

The XML export, when imported, produces imperfect sequences with many clips which seem to have forgotten their media links (and give you that timeline clip with the diagonal hash)

And now, to screw us over even more, projects  created in 2021 CANNOT be downgraded to work on 2020, or any other version.

So you tell me, Adobe...how [edited by moderator] am I supposed to cut this latest show I've got, which was cut using 2021, on my computer using 2020?\

And follow that answer up with why [edited by moderator] I should keep paying you my monthly tribute, when you simply AREN'T DELIVERING THE GOODS?

Mod note: I understand the frustration, but the Title to your post was changed for searchability reasons.

-

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

About downgrading projects, you can try this (please use it carefully, there is no guarantee ..) : http://downgrader.elements.tv/

Why can't you update your current computer to latest 2021 ?

Is it linked in any way to the "Project Manager" in Premiere Pro which consolidates your project  ?

PS : I'm not from the Adobe Team, just trying to help you there.

Best,

Nicolas from Autokroma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And thanks for your help.

Yes, I upgraded to 2021 on the personal machine I'm using for work.

My question is why Adobe thinks everyone in the world sits down in the edit chair and upgrades immediately upon release of a new version. For instance, large companies (like ABC Disney) have enterprise contracts that don't include CC-frequency upgrades. I work for ABCD...but now NOBODY at ABC7 (where my office used to be located before the pandemic) can open a project I work on, cuz they're still on 2020 (and will remain so until they sign a new contract).  When I could downgrade a project, that wasn't a problem. But I can't downgrade a 2021 project.

As for link to the Downgrader, dude, I've tried a multitude of downgrader links, and even edited the text file myself per the instructions on this site.  2021 projects WON'T downgrade, AFAIK.

And no, this has nothing to do with the Project Manager. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. You can perform this exercize for 2021 projects, but they will not open in earlier versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have not tried this in ages. Will give it a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed instructions to the letter, opened a 2021 project in 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Ann. You have a good reputation on some other threads I've been perusing, but you struck out here.

Even though I've used pretty much every online downgrader, and have done the Unzip/edit/Zip dance many times with previous versions, I decided to take up your challenge and at your suggestion peformed Scoby Tech Tutorials - to the letter.

Guess what?

First pic shows me attempting to open the edited and downgraded project file in PPro 2020.

Second pic shows the "damaged project" warning result.

This has occurred both here in my home studio on a Mac, and at my employer studio on a Windows box.

So I stand by my claim...2021 projects CANNOT be downgraded and opened successfully in earlier versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike, not sure what is going on. I just followed the unzip-edit-zip from memory, and opened a 2021 project in 2020. Also, I saved the 2021 project as FCP XML and opened in 2020.

The usual disclaimers; new stuff doesn't work: there are no captions when opened in 2020, since the caption workflow was totally revamped in 2021.

I wonder if one of those issues is creating a problem opening your project.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MikeJaz,

Sorry about this.

The XML export, when imported, produces imperfect sequences with many clips which seem to have forgotten their media links (and give you that timeline clip with the diagonal hash)

Whenever I see complaints about media not linking to clips correctly, I have to ask about the original media and how it was imported. If it is CF based (SD cards or the like) media, this simply must be imported via Media Browser and not File > Import. Otherwise, crucial metadata which differentiates one media file from another is lost. That makes it very hard for Project Manager to function correctly because the clips were not ingested properly from the outset. Furthermore, I wouldn't expect opening a project from a previous version would function well without solid metadata for the same reason. Files were not ingested correctly.

I wish that the devs would place a big red flag up when people try to import CF based media via File > Import as all kinds of project management issues ensue if specific media is not imported according to spec. A real gotcha.

You might try a test where you import media only via Media Browser. If you are interacting with others, a quick note for them to do the same will allow you to exchange project data a lot more easily. 

Hope this advice helps you succeed the next time you are managing a project.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kevin, thanks for getting back to me.

I never use File/Import. I always import via the Media Browser, so this wouldn't be an issue.

However, you may be on to something, as we often have issues with how photogs and producers are ingesting their footage. I have no control over this (footage is ingested at the local station level, I'm just getting a copy from our magic server). I do have one group I'm working closely with whom I can ask to conform their importing methods to what you suggest, so I can run that test.

What I'm missing here is a simpler, maybe pedestrian end-user-level idea...if there's enough information for Premiere to "play" the file (which is simply writing it, right?), why isn't there enough information to write the file to a disc?

Anyway, just to let you know that as of now things are no better, and my attempt to create a Collected Project for the latest show I finished failed. I'll ask them how they ingest and see if that makes a diff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines