Project manager "unknown error"

Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

After 2 years of using project manager to consolidate and back up my projects, it is now giving me constant grief.

On almost every project (mainly promos) it is unable to calculate project size og unable to back up my projects.

Every time giving me "unknown error", asking me to try again.  Not even once, has this improved anything.  I keep getting "unknown error"

It does not work and I've tried many combination of settings.

I will have to stop using Premiere as my editor if this keeps up.  I cannot keep backing up by copying 100s of GB of assets for a each 30 sec. spot.

What is going on?

Has a bug been introduced in the last few versions?

Does anybody else have these issues?

What could be the possible cause? 

Thank you

//Stig A.

Had the same problem and came across this thread. My project has about a dozen sequences, and the Project Manager wouldn't "Collect files and copy to new location". It came back with an "Unknown Error" message.

I narrowed it down to Sequence #4. That sequence was causing the problems.

I narrowed it down further: one of my music files from iTunes had special characters in the name: colons and commas. Got rid of those and the problem was fixed.

I'm running CS6.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Project manager "unknown error"

Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

After 2 years of using project manager to consolidate and back up my projects, it is now giving me constant grief.

On almost every project (mainly promos) it is unable to calculate project size og unable to back up my projects.

Every time giving me "unknown error", asking me to try again.  Not even once, has this improved anything.  I keep getting "unknown error"

It does not work and I've tried many combination of settings.

I will have to stop using Premiere as my editor if this keeps up.  I cannot keep backing up by copying 100s of GB of assets for a each 30 sec. spot.

What is going on?

Has a bug been introduced in the last few versions?

Does anybody else have these issues?

What could be the possible cause? 

Thank you

//Stig A.

Had the same problem and came across this thread. My project has about a dozen sequences, and the Project Manager wouldn't "Collect files and copy to new location". It came back with an "Unknown Error" message.

I narrowed it down further: one of my music files from iTunes had special characters in the name: colons and commas. Got rid of those and the problem was fixed.

I'm running CS6.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 21, 2017 2
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi StigA, Sorry for this error. I do see a similar bug filed. Can you also file one? Here's the link.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2017 0
Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before the latest update (to CC 2018), I used the Project Manager to archive three similar-sized (45 to 65GB) projects and had no problems. Since the update, with all the same settings, I now get the "unknown error" that StigA was talking about. I finally got it to work, after trying to change the destination to a local drive instead of a network drive (that didn't work), by unchecking the "Save Preview files" box. This post in the Creative Cow PP forum was somewhat helpful  https://forums.creativecow.net/docs/forums/post.php?forumid=3&postid=996718&univpostid=996718&pview=...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2017 4
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RogerP,

What was the source media? New project or an updated one? Any other info? Hope we can assist.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2017 0
Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

It was probably 3 hours of HD (1080p) footage, about half from from a Canon 5D and half from a Panasonic HC-V770, one main 7-minute sequence, two nested sequences, if that's what you're asking. It was definitely not a new project, and I'm not sure what you mean by updated. It was a CC 2017 project, and I had opened a copy in 2018 to archive it — and I forgot to mention that after the backup kept failing, I went back to the original and opened it in CC 2017 — and it was then that I also unchecked the "Save preview files" box. And then it worked. (So, the bottom line is, I have not yet gotten this to work in CC 2018.)

Is this a known bug?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2017 0
Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running CS6.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 24, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback, Guy Burns.

Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2018 0
May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same errors.

Film was cut in Premiere 2017, upgraded to 2018. Trying to collect all footage onto one drive (currently divided among 3). Have deactivated copying preview links and a few suggestions in this thread and not having any lucky.

project error.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2018 0
Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue here. no fix. no workaround. so? what shall we do next?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2018 2
Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. delete all your proxies

2. check if you have special characters in your video/photo/work files naming like + # $ or whatever ( I found to have a Spanish character in one mov file)

3. delete adobe premiere cache

4. it should work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2018 1
Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Makes it hard to do professional work on schedule when I can't easily output my project for color correction. Now I have to manage the files manually? It would be great if you guys could do a little more testing on this before you release the software.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2018 4
Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and still no solution. It already occurred from version cs 5.5 now with CC 2018 again in the same embarrassing problem. For those who work with other colleagues is a very serious problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2018 1