• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Proper settings and workflow for Atomos Ninja V with Panasonic GH5?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a GH5 and need to get an external recorder. Looks like Ninja 5 is a solid choice, but I am concerned about what formats I should record/edit in with Premiere. I am also building a brand new heavy-duty 4K editing system, so my resources should not be an issue.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All-intra of course avoids the horrible editing performance of long-GOP, so that's better than standard mov/mp4 out of such a rig.

The GH5 has a number of formats past that how about listing the available ones?

Anything 4:2:2 is obviously good also.

Larger media files but vastly better data in the files.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Ninja will record various flavours of Prores and DNx. I would match my Premiere Pro projects to whichever format you choose out of those two. For my business (Mac based) I choose Prores. At the TV network I also work at (Windows based) we use AVC Intra and DNx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve's comments are spot on. Although Premiere can both read and write ProRes even on PCs these days.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since Covid delayed the GH6 and I'm ready to upgrade from my GH4, can anyone update this thread? There were some issues with the GH5 and certain file types for PR in 2019 or so. I'm also interested in the Ninja and there were issues with log optionsand DNx? Also, does the Ninja play any role in whether I need an XLR input accessory?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines