Exit

ProRes Raw on Windows 10 issue

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is, I want to use ProRes Raw on Windows

I have the latest ProRes Raw decoder installed
I have a GPU capable of this (Nvidia 2080ti x 2 in SLI)
I have Mercury GPU Acceleration selected in my project settings

However I still get a "ProRes RAW decode issue" error every time I try decode.

I have tried reinstalling both Premiere Pro, and the ProRes Raw decoder.

I have tried removing one of my GPUs.

Anyone have any ideas for next steps or debug options?

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Formats , Hardware or GPU , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other details about my hardware:
CPU: AMD 3970X
RAM: 64Gb

GPU: 2080ti x 2 in SLI

M.2 SSD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere does not normally like linked GPUs in SLI ... how about unlinking them?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also facing the same issue. I have done everything that requires ProRes to run on my system but still facing the decode error message. 

I haven't heard anything back from Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you've installed the Apple ProRes decoding app onto your machine, I assume. And normal ProRes works fine, correct?

What's your hardware?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I've installed ProRes for Windows version 1.3 directly from Apple. And yes, normal ProRes plays back on my system.

I use a Razer Blade 15 Advanced Edition 2018

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz

GPU: GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q

Ram: 32.0 GB

My renderer is set to CUDA.

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎1/‎1/‎2021
OS build 19042.685
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan  ... we're getting the occasional Windows user with this problem. And they've got the Apple super-duper-secret ProRes decoder app installed so Dick Tracy should be able to work away.

Do you know something that might help? Is there something that gets wonky and needs resetting or ... something?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issues and BTW with exactly the same CPU, RAM, and juest one 2080ti.

Any update on this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haven't heard of anything. Sadly. Though again, on my system it's working fine, so what the hay is going on?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is related to the Threaddripper system. I'm having problems with Canon R5 8K RAW files, playback is fine on my other PC.

Just look at these:

Premiere Pro 15.0 crash Canon R5 8K RAW - Adobe Support Community - 11886821

Troubleshooting playback - Adobe Support Community - 11942532

My assumption is that Adobe doesn't have a Threaddripper system to test Premiere. Adobe can you say that you have tested Premiere extensively on a Threaddripper system and all these things are working for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My 24-core Ryzen would qualify. They would have most any system available between in-house and their private & public beta programs. Over on the public beta, you see a number of people with AMD CPUs, and yet not that much of a problem with ProRes any more than anyone else.

I've talked with a lot of the engineers and managers over the years at NAB and MAX. They are (as you would expect) more based on Macs than PCs, but have the new ARM Macs and both Intel and AMD CPUs/GPUs. As they have to.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last year I was chatting with Adobe support person or software engineer over a ProresRaw problem and he said thatt hey don't have AMD machines at all to test Premiere with. He had a remote session to my PC and gathered the info. Now that problem is fixed though. So this is where my concern is coming from.

Have you tested Canon R5 8K RAW files with Premiere? Is playback ok for you? In my system the end result is a crash 100%. Or can someone with a Ryzen 39X0 system chime in and comment if  8K RAW files from Canon R5 are playing back ok?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I won't quibble with the comment from the Adobe support person ... though it would be a help to know who it was. What role they have does matter here. The "help" staff are not in any way linked to the development folks that I've ever found.

I don't work with any of the Canon raw files. I do know that the R5 8k files are a bear on some systems in various apps. If you could drop-box me a clip, I'd be happy to test on my Ryzen 3960x 24-core rig.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Suddenly the RAW files from Canon R5 started to playback just fine in both non-beta and beta versions of Premiere. I don't know why... Haven't done any changes at all. Only thing that changed was a new version of Premiere Pro beta that installed, but that shouldn't affect non beta version too. I will continue to follow this situation... Maybe I will PM you Neil with a link to the RAW files so that you could test it. You have same processor than I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines