Prores RAW Workflow In Master Panel

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have recently been importing Prores Raw into PPCC (build 51).  Am I to understand that the master panel (when editing the Prore RAW) is where we are to take advantage of the flexibility of the the RAW container and not the video clip tab?  

I guess to be more specific, I'm wondering if editing in the video clip tab vs the master tab will produce any different results.  Im under the impression that all the beneficial information of the RAW container is in the Master Tab and there you have the flexible 12 bit information as well as converting to a codec.  So once I leave the master tab and jump back into the video clip tab to edit am I only able to edit the limited information that the codec has as oppose to being able to edit the 12 bit RAW in the Master Tab?

Also is there any literature on the workflow of the master tab when dealing with Prores RAW?

I hope this is not confusing to the reader.  Thank you for your help in advance.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by R Neil Haugen | Adobe Community Professional

It's an easy misunderstanding. There is no bit depth difference between the Master clip tab and the normal sequence clip tab.

The Master Clip tab deals with the "master clip" properties, that are applied as a "master" to that clip anywhere in the project. And for complex media with metadata-driven options like the ProRes RAW, BMRAW, ArriRAW, and Red r3d files, some others, there will be options based on the media metadata. Those options are always controlled from the Master Clip tab.

You can even say add a Lumetri effect to a clip in the Master Clip tab, and that will be applied to all uses of that clip or sections of it in the project.

Whether you make changes via the Master Clip tab or the normal sequence tab has no other effect. Premiere always translates any clip directly into 32 bit float for all computational changes, so bit depth & such are not affected. Everything is processed at the bit depth of the clip involved.

Neil

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Prores RAW Workflow In Master Panel

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have recently been importing Prores Raw into PPCC (build 51).  Am I to understand that the master panel (when editing the Prore RAW) is where we are to take advantage of the flexibility of the the RAW container and not the video clip tab?  

I guess to be more specific, I'm wondering if editing in the video clip tab vs the master tab will produce any different results.  Im under the impression that all the beneficial information of the RAW container is in the Master Tab and there you have the flexible 12 bit information as well as converting to a codec.  So once I leave the master tab and jump back into the video clip tab to edit am I only able to edit the limited information that the codec has as oppose to being able to edit the 12 bit RAW in the Master Tab?

Also is there any literature on the workflow of the master tab when dealing with Prores RAW?

I hope this is not confusing to the reader.  Thank you for your help in advance.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by R Neil Haugen | Adobe Community Professional

It's an easy misunderstanding. There is no bit depth difference between the Master clip tab and the normal sequence clip tab.

The Master Clip tab deals with the "master clip" properties, that are applied as a "master" to that clip anywhere in the project. And for complex media with metadata-driven options like the ProRes RAW, BMRAW, ArriRAW, and Red r3d files, some others, there will be options based on the media metadata. Those options are always controlled from the Master Clip tab.

You can even say add a Lumetri effect to a clip in the Master Clip tab, and that will be applied to all uses of that clip or sections of it in the project.

Whether you make changes via the Master Clip tab or the normal sequence tab has no other effect. Premiere always translates any clip directly into 32 bit float for all computational changes, so bit depth & such are not affected. Everything is processed at the bit depth of the clip involved.

Neil

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome 👌!  Thank you for the response it is greatly appreciated.  However I did notice a little difference in adjusting exposure in the Lumetri Color as oppose to the exposure in the Master Tab.  Is there a difference there or just in mind head sort of speak, lol!  When looking at color for long periods of time, sometimes it can play tricks on you.

So this will bring me to a final question.  What is the intended purpose of the Master Tab?  Besides the ability to convert codecs for RAW.  By reading your response above I get the impression that the Master Tab allows me to apply adjustments to that clip and any where I use that clip those adjustments will be appended to that clip without having to redo the same Lumetri Color for the same clip if you wanted to use it else where in the project.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ProRes Raw exposure slider is its own thing, built for that media, and is very differently coded from the Adobe Lumetri panel. Different intents also.

The Master Clip tab is where you set universal characterstics across the project for that clip. So yes, if you apply Lumetri to a clip via Master Clip tab, then all uses of that clip in the project will have that setting set applied. It's very useful for things like multicamera, as you can correct each camera in Master Clip, and change the entire sequence use of that clip.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your time.  It is greatly appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0