proxies not working, can't update media encoder

New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I've been having a whole lot of fun with Premiere and Encoder the past day or so. I'm pretty new to editing footage on premeire and I'm in the process of creating proxy files for the first time. I haven't been able to get them to work, the app was crashing, and I eventually deduced (with the help of the internet) that I need to update the Media Encoder app. No big deal. However, any time I try to access the update feature of Media Encoder I've been getting the "updates for this machine have been disabled, please contact the administrator," error.

By way of older forum posts on this website I learned that I need to locate and delete the "AdobeUpdaterPrefs.dat" file. Easy enough. Unfortunately, before I realized that I only need to delete that file in order to accomplish what I had set out to do, I came across another forum post that made it seem as if I needed to delete the entire directory in which that file was located. The directory on Windows 10 is C:/programfiles(x86)/Adobe/AAMUUpdaterinventory/1.0

I deleted the directory and then realized I had only needed to delete the file. I went to the recycle bin and restored the directory and what had been deleted. But now when I try to go back to the same location and directory in the program files, the folder just isn't there. I've tried searching for the AdobeUpdaterPrefs.dat file and the directory itself outright in the file explorer but to no avail. 

Long story short I've misplaced or lost the file that I need to get rid of in order to update Media Encoder and get on with my process. I know the next step is probably to reinstall the Creative Cloud Desktop app but I don't even want to try in fear that I might mess something else up as well.

This post could have probably gone in the Media Encoder or Creative Cloud section but I thought I might get quicker help and maybe even a more direct solution in the Premiere section of the forum. I really appreciate any help. I'm a bit frustrated and I feel as if I'm backed into a corner on this one. Thanks guys. 

- Jimmy 

TOPICS
Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow ... this is weird.

I would simply start over at this point. Use the Creative Cloud app to uninstall Premiere Pro and Media Encoder, then reboot and do fresh installs.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines