Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Proxy-files doesn't work despite everything says they should be attached

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have a problem using proxies. The original files are shot in 4k, so they are almost impossible to edit in. Normally I create proxy-files in 720, and that makes it much more smoother to edit. I have done this lots of times, and have never had any problems. Now suddenly the proxies will not work. They are attached, and the file-path is correct, but when I activate "toggle proxies" nothing happens, and it's still just the 4k files on my timeline. It drives me nuts, as I cannot find out what the problem is, as everything looks as it should other than the actual footage. I have detached the proxies and attached again multiple times, but nothing happens.

I edit on a MacBook and in Adobe Premiere Pro 2020. Can anyone help me out?

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you know you are looking at original footage and not the proxies in the Program window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all it lacks like it's still in 4k. The proxy-files are in 1280x720 and but when I insert them to the sequence (which are 1920x1080) if is zoomed in at scale 100% like it's still 4k. There is no difference in the Program window when I push "toggle proxies".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the propeties of the proxy file in Media info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything looks as it should. Under proxy settings it's the right file-path, the right dimensions, frame rate and so on. But in the program window it's still showing 4k.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Skærmbillede 2020-08-05 kl. 21.35.11.pngSkærmbillede 2020-08-05 kl. 21.37.44.pngSkærmbillede 2020-08-05 kl. 21.44.30.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann is right, how do you know you are looking at original footage?

Your first answer is, 'I just know it is'. 

And second answer is not a way to tell. Proxies should show up just as the original footage, so the scaling explanation is moot. If you have the Media preference "Default Media Scaling:" = "None" then no scaling should take place. If you are using Multi-cam clips there another thing to be aware of.

I use the timecode overlay when I create 720p Cineform proxies because I could hardly tell them apart from the original media. Some people use a semi-transparent watermark. I like the timecode as it's something useful. Perhaps you created a batch of h.264 proxies... they would hardly work good. What steps are you taking to create and attach the proxies and what format and preset are you using to create the proxies?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer. Sorry, you're right about the scaling. I have worked with proxies a lot of times before, and even in the same project. I make 720p Cineform, quality 1 proxies. Unfortunately I don't use watermarks, but normally I'm able to tell the difference between the 4k footage and the 720p proxy, when I switch the "toggle proxies" button. But now there's no difference. 

I work with merged clips because I have used external audio. But the merged clips should automatically update to the proxies from the original clips even if I create the proxies after I merged the files, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure about that. I don't use merged clips but the proxies I make often go into Multi-cam clips and those work just fine, but they are made AFTER the proxies are attached. Since PP has the Ingest options on the Project settings to creat proxies on ingest, it would seem best to create the proxies first, then the merged or multicam clips.

I have a custom ingest and encoding preset in Media Encoder. Here's the video section of the Encoding preset where I add the timecode. Just make it once and it's good to go, don't even have to think about it

MyerPj_0-1596659749119.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to guess that the merge clips is the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are there any workaround in re-attaching the proxy-files to the merged clips? Or should I merge the clips again and then start all from the beginning again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I tried to create a new proxy for one of the files with a timecode. But no timecode on the proxy in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just posted that screenshot 10 seconds before your above reply came. Did you do it as per my encoding preset? Also, did you play the proxy file via vlc or potplayer, etc... (I accidently hit best answer when I came in to edit this post)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines