• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Proxy files won't stay attached, re-attaching everyday!

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Here is my workflow.  All of my original 4K A7s II footage is on an external drive and sits in the same folder.  I've made Proxy files with Premiere and those files sit on another external drive in its own folder.  I attached the proxies using right-click then Proxy>Attach Proxies>then found the folder>hit search to confirm the files, then once found hit the OK button.  It takes a couple of minutes and then everything attaches and the footage plays smoothly.

At the end of the day I SAVE AS the project and re-name it to today's date as a back up.  No folders or drives change names or locations.

The next day, the Proxy files are not attached and I have to attach them everyday.  So my question is, every time I save the project and rename it to today's date, does it un-attach the proxy files?  Or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi LeistnerAdobe,

Are these external drives network drives or are they directly attached?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

Both drives are directly attached and only used by this computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd, do you have any internal drives available to test with?

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

Not really, the internals are all small.  Our RAW footage drive is 10TB and our Proxy drive is 4TB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really, the internals are all small.  Our RAW footage drive is 10TB and our Proxy drive is 4TB.

Small drives are fine. Just do a little test to see if the problem might lie with the drives or with Premiere Pro. Let us know the results.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe Step 3H below will solve this for you.

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we can only work on internal drives with proxies?  Seems like a software issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend using only internal drives whether or not you use proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I just wanted to know if they would work or not on different drives.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are those drives externally powered? or through the USB drive? It is probably a hardware problem. Somewhere, somehow, your are loosing power to your drives.

Also, a very out of the blue thought but it happened to me before. Is your cell phone close to the drives? I got so many restarting drives because my phone was too close.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2019 Jan 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that is funny about the cell phones. Don't think that's the problem but good to know! They are externally powered drives. Still haven't figured out the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2019 Jan 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that your drive is still sleeping when you open premiere.
Try those 2 things for me.

1- Close Premiere and re-open it after attaching and saving WITHOUT restarting your computer.
2-  Open a new project, import a couple of files and create proxies for them. Store your proxies on an Internal drive, Save and close premiere and restart your computer.

Both tests should not ask you to re-attach proxies. report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly, I haven't had any issues since I started saving my Projects as copies rather than simply saving "as". So far seems to be working. The drives falling asleep, as far as I can tell, hasn't been the problem. I didn't do the trouble-shooting you suggested Christian since things seem to be working now that I'm saving the Project as a copy. Hopefully that is the end of this issue. If the problem arrises again I will try your suggestion. Thanks for all the feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be a permission problem. Can you share your system specs and your storage configuration please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christian, thanks for your continued interest in my proxy issue! My computer is a late 2013 MacPro with 32 GB of RAM and the latest OS (10.13.3). Also the latest Premiere Pro. My external source drive is a Lacie d2 with a 10TB Enterprise grade 7200 RPM hard drive. My proxies are on a Lacie d2 4TB drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what i'm here for

Your system is very similar to mine. and I also use LaCie. However my proxies are on a third portable Lacie.

Just to be able to narrow down the issue and pinpoint if it's a storage problem or a permission problem.

Can you try the suggested tests above whenever you have time? Or at least test with the proxies on the 10tb Lacie?

Let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My proxies are on a third drive -- on their own 4TB Lacie. Or are you saying they should be on a bigger drive? The proxies only take up 600GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You don't have to move all of them. Create a new project, import 5-10 files, proxy them. Everything should be on your 10tb Lacie.

Run a test this way to see if the proxies will remain attached or not

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines