• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Proxy Media and Full Resolution must have matching audio channels workaround?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, guys,

So I've got a slightly complicated issue.

We shot on Ursa Mini in 4.6k with anamorphic lenses. Dropped the footage in Resolve to create the proxies - didn't realize Premiere could handle them at the moment. Anyway, synced audio in Resolve but it messed up and ended up dropping timecode on some of the proxy files.

Now trying to re-link the quick time proxies in my Premiere timeline to the raw files but getting the "proxy and full resolution matching audio" message. I think this might be because of the audio issues in exporting the proxies through Resolve. Our audio designer ended up having to relink some of the audio files when I shot him the project after picture lock too.

So.... any ideas on a work around for this error? I know the raw files I want, but cannot link due to the error.

THANKS.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Hey,

Yes, I did.

Tried switching everything over to a different computer / hard drive and it linked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My footage was time-lapse from a GoPro camera - no audio.  I created proxies in Adobe Media Encoder with some custom settings and must have someone added a blank audio channel, and received the error in this thread.

I could have re-encoded without audio, but ended it fixing it with this one line of ffmpeg:

ffmpeg -i <proxyfilewithaudio>.mov -c copy -an <newfilewithoutaudio>.mov

More info here: https://superuser.com/a/268986

ffmpeg is a command line tool that takes some getting used to, but the command above just strips out the audio without reencoding the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great WINDOWS solution! (Most of the above comments are using Quicktime on Mac) It was fairly simple to do and much faster and less CPU intensive than re-encoding all of the media! I used this solution for DJI Drone footage that had no audio on the original file but when I created the proxy a stereo channel was added.

Here is where I found step by step installation instructions for installing FFmpeg https://phoenixnap.com/kb/ffmpeg-windows 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An annoying and time-consuming solution I found is to go to each of the offline files in Premiere and choose replace footage. Then replace the sinful proxies with the source footage. Premiere is kind enough to allow this.
This probably takes less time than redoing proxies (depending on the project), with the benefit that the replaced footage magically relinks properly across your timelines (same timecode).
In essence, it's a non-batch way of re-linking these "bad" proxies with their immaculate source.
Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS 👆 saved the day and much heartache for me.  Thankyouthankyou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay! That worked! Thanks for saving me a lot of time. Replace footage works really well when it wont locate the proxys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not unsimilar to how we used to do it using the AVID and media from Tapes!  Ah, the not so good old days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorted, you have to back engineer the whole thing:

1. Import the proxies into premiere pro
  2. Edit with those proxies
  3. When you're all done move the proxie folder into another lcoation forcing premiere to get confused and offline all media
  4. re-link the media with the original raw files and everything comes back online with the high quality files

When there's a will there's a way. Shame premiere isn't clever enough to work it out by itself yet but here's to hoping one day.

Find us on insta for more helpful info - @FilmA_king

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2023 Sep 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To further clarify a method someone else suggested - If you move the location of the media you want to replace, Premiere will prompt you to link media. This window is much faster to link full res or proxy media (even if you have messed up naming or something). In the lower left corner you can uncheck "file extension" or any other qualifiers and a lot of the time Premiere will automatically link the rest for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines