• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Proxy's play in preview not in playback monitor off timeline?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone have an anser here: 

I have created and linked all the proxy's and confirmed. 

In the preview monitor I can toggle between original and proxy.  But in the playback monitor, with the same exact clips which show a proxy option in preview I can't seem to playback the proxy, I can click the toggle and nothing happens in teh playback montior(my proxy's have a watermark). 

As well If I click proxy in playback, oddly it toggles in the preview monitor .  

To be fair I started playing with this edit with larger proxy's, then I recreated the Proxy's to a smaller version and dleted the originial proxys and linked up the new ones a few cuts into the edit...  would that matter?

Thanks

Jimmy

TOPICS
Editing , How to , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jimmy. Try deleting your cache files. My guess is that will fix it. Here's how....

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-clear-your-cache-in-premiere-pro-2019/td-p/83...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that's an answer worth trying   

thanks  

Ill let you know

Jimmy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well clering the Cache worked until I rerendered and then the proxy's were no longer avail?  Ill try clearing cache agan I guess?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

honestly, I think creating proxies with different pixel dimensions from the originals is dangerous.  Not sure, but as long as my proxies play fine in the timeline, I feel it's safer particularly if I'm going to rescaling and repositioning.  I use proresproxy as the codec and I had a 4 camera shoot some 2 or 3 cameras were 4k and the sequence was 1080 and I was able to do a "live" switch without issues.    I've got an older machine (macpro running high sierra) and PP 2019 with either internal sata drives or external USB3 drives.  If and when I have a more complicated job that's not playing back smoothly with my workflow, I'll test a proxy workflow reducing the pixel dimensions.  I'm in the process of transitioning to a much more powerful windows machine...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks but that has nothing to do with my question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was suggesting that the difference in pixel dimensions between your camera original and your proxies might be the problem...  You might try creating a proxy with matching pixel dimensions and see if that solves your problem...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh   no  they are the same.  I can see them in preview but not playback   clearing the cache helped, but then when I rendered they disapeared again,   so  and perhaps as I am typing I will confirm pixel dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why are you rendering the proxies?  They don't playback smoothly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premier wanted me to render.  I checked the pixel to pixel   they are good, mathematically equivelant.  I checked project settings with original files   they are the same.

I cleared the cache a second time, and still palyback does NOT read the proxies but preview does?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how does Premiere tell you to render?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A red bar above the clip instead of green   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does it play smoothly?  If so, you can ignore the render bar...  You also might lower your program monitor playback resolution...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the proxy reolution is 512x270   extremely low.  original files are 4096x2160   part of this is to lern how proxys can and cannot work.  I wrote and articale recently on editing a feature film and returning to the camera raw.  

anyway what I think I discovered is : 

It seems you cannot apply a LUT to a Proxy file.   

This was based on a test a did.

Can you or anyone confirm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW excuse my Type O's   I am also looking into the audio track causing playback issues.  I see I am using a 480000 16 bit audio file to cut to.  this could also be causing delays in playback.

However it does still seem I cannot apply a LUT to the proxy, which when I think about it, is fine for editing, but not when I want to render out a cut with a LUT.  

perhaps someone can shed some light on this question further

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you export you are always referencing original files NOT the proxies...  Amazing how difficult it is to diagnose some issues remotely.  I rarely work with LUTs so it never occured to me that they might be an issue.  But if you monitor this forum, you'll see they're tricky things to deal with....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The pitch to use Proxy's is practical,  seems teh application is glitchy at best.  

Ill poke around to find some more answers on working with proxys

As for LUTS.  this is also part of my experiment.  

thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to render because I created a 'LUT' that I am using for editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines