• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PRPRO 15.0 Bug: Time-remapping interpreted footage (windows)

Advocate ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey technicians! This bug will apply to a bunch of folk who do more with premiere than just edit material shot at one framerate. All those photographers and media creators out there as opposed to old school film-editors.

Settings: CUDA rendering on

1. Take a mov shot at 29.97 (or 48, or 50...) a long clip will work best. Mine are cineform quicktime movs. 
  2. Interpret footage to 25 fps
  3. Put it on a 25fps timeline
  4. Do a speed ramp on it (the bigger the more obvious the bug is)
  5. Please watch the "software only" screencap for the expected result 
    then "Cuda playback" to see the bug in action.

I have tried to draw attention to this bug since the first few weeks of version 14's release. 

Every single project has this workflow. I shoot all my aerials at 50fps, I shoot 29.97 to get slight slow mo *all the time*. This isn't a minor inconvenience with a workaround possible: I just tried to workaround it by setting my 29.97fps clips to 83.42% speed. Some work, some drop frames and stutter. 
Working with CUDA switched off is so slow as to be useless.  

I have phoned adobe, tweeted at adobe staff, used this forum and uservoice.  I have made youtube vids, sent leaflets into the stratosphere and released a thousand carrier pigeons with bug reports attached.  

I am willing and available to help with this issue. 

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a solution: as I said in my OP.

29.97 to 25 fps is 83.41675008341675%

The rounding causes stuttering playback and it's a total cludge. 

Why would you make apologies for Adobe's inability to address a bug?

yes it will drop a frame every 100 seconds of input clip.  A lot of my aerial clips are 5 mins long.  If you hit a dropped frame during a lovely smooth track... I don't know why I'm even discussing this, why should we be working around this mess?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you make apologies for Adobe's inability to address a bug?

Because "interpret footage" was never intended for creating slo-mo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can suggest 2 ways to overcome "software only" render limitation:

1) Interpret and transcode your 'slo-mo intended' footage as 25fps Prores/DNx/Cineform. Likely will be faster and no more issues with speed-ramping.

2) Create a remapped copy (29.97> 25fps). Fastest way ever, but need a 3rd party tool that was not extensively tested. Use with care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rubbish!

It's there, it should work.  This is the adobe version of "you're holding it wrong".

Making the user workaround it's crapness is exactly the reason it's full of bugs. 

I'll change my workflow to resolve, I should've done that years ago. I keep banging on about this out of principal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines