Highlighted

Quality loss when zooming to a replicated clip (transform + replicate)

Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I am doing some zoom in/out transitions using a clip, adjustment layer with Replicate x3 and another adjustment layer with Transform to zoom back in 300%. 1080 clip on a 4k sequence, so I don't lose quality when replicating and zooming and the final export is 1080.

This results in reduction in image quality, only when the Replicate effect is turned on. I have linked a test project, where you can toggle the top layer repeatedly to observe the quality change.

It appears that replicating a clip x3 in a 1080 sequence, reduces it's quality after export, so I also tested on a 4k sequence - the export quality was 1080, but the loss of quality due to the replicate effect is still observable.

I would appreciate it if anyone can explain why this happens or how to work around it.

transform-replicate-quality-test - Google Drive

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Quality loss when zooming to a replicated clip (transform + replicate)

Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I am doing some zoom in/out transitions using a clip, adjustment layer with Replicate x3 and another adjustment layer with Transform to zoom back in 300%. 1080 clip on a 4k sequence, so I don't lose quality when replicating and zooming and the final export is 1080.

This results in reduction in image quality, only when the Replicate effect is turned on. I have linked a test project, where you can toggle the top layer repeatedly to observe the quality change.

It appears that replicating a clip x3 in a 1080 sequence, reduces it's quality after export, so I also tested on a 4k sequence - the export quality was 1080, but the loss of quality due to the replicate effect is still observable.

I would appreciate it if anyone can explain why this happens or how to work around it.

transform-replicate-quality-test - Google Drive

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 21, 2018 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to tell what your are doing in the Project you posted, but if you are using the replicated grid of frames and then want to zoom the center grid frame up to full frame - and keep full quality - you should cover over the center grid frame with a layer of the same full screen video scaled down to fit its position in the grid.

Then when you want to zoom up, zoom up both the background replicated grid and the scaled down image that is covering the center frame.

Now when scaled down center frame fills frame it will be at (normal) 100% scale and at full resolution.

Otherwise you are attempting to scale up the grid frame which has had pixels removed to create the grid effect - and so you see the degradation.

MtD

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2018 0
Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well yes: zooming in on a scale down image is bound to lose image quality.

If you want to keep the resolution you will have to replicate manually.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify, loosing quality when zooming is not the problem here. I have bypassed that completely.

Whenever you put a Replicate effect on a clip, it blurs the whole image slightly.

That is what I am looking to understand, so far seems like something not expected to work like this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, did some further testing.

Now, I am placing a 1080 clip in the middle of a 4k sequence. Replicating it should mean that additional 3 clips 1080 each are created, each preserving resolution. Remember, there is plenty of room.

However, that doesn't seem to be the case. When replicating a 1080 clip x2 on a 4k sequence (grid of 4 clips results from that), zooming in on one with transform reveals loss of quality.

I tried to overlay the part I am zooming into with a normal copy of the clip and the quality of course is fine. That however defies the purpose of having an adjustment layer, that moves around, because now I need to animate both it and the overplayed clip.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 22, 2018 0
Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The replicate effect might be reducing the clip to 50%.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 22, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's is my speculation as well. Oh well, I don't know how it works on the backend, so I don't know if it is worth even raising it as a feature idea.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 22, 2018 0
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you manage to find a good solution? Also tried 4K sequence and that  does not help

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can show you a zoom in without quality problems

in DaVinci Resolve

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 22, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I would prefer not to switch apps for that, as I can also do it in After Effects, but if you have a tutorial handy, that would be great!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 22, 2018 0
Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Waldorf+%26+Statler  wrote

I can show you a zoom in without quality problems

in DaVinci Resolve

Is this also on a replicate effect?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 22, 2018 0