• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quick beginners question about mixed fps.

New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im not sure exactly how to ask this question without a bit of explanation, so searching first didn't help much. I'm relatively new to video editing and creation, so forgive me in advance...

I'm starting to make video game videos for youtube and was wondering if there was a simple way to combine 24fps " talking head" shots with 60fps gameplay in a way that when I'm on screen talking it looks very cinematic like the 24fps travel doc style stuff, but when gameplay is featured it looks like high quality capture 60 fps pc gameplay. 

Thanks in advance, and again my apologies if I haven't explained myself well.

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you start with a 60fps sequence and drop your 24 fps footage into it, although it will be displayed at 60 frames per second it still is only 24 discrete pictures per second ... it's just that each of those 24fps are displayed twice (or 3 times) in that second. You won't necessarily lose the cinematic look of 24fps material.

Think of it this way. When you've watched a movie (24fps) on broadcast TV you were actually watching it at 59.94 interlaced images per second (50 in PAL countries) ... but it still looked like a movie and retained that 24fps 'look' right?

However I'm not sure the effect you are after (from 24fps) will be that noticable. You mention it's you talking on-screen - not much movement in that footage and with little movement - hard to see the 24fps effect. Perhaps it might be better to focus on making 'how' you shoot and light yourself to give it a distinctive look.

Mostly the 'cinematic' look is great lighting, framing and art direction and not only about the frame rate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you’re looking for a different visual look you may want to brows the creative option on the lumetri color panel or the options of  lumetri Effects in the Effects panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the star of your show you should give some thought to your 'image'.

Do you want giant eye glasses like Elton John ?

Maybe a French Beret like an 'artist' ?

Make sure you comb your hair and put on a clean shirt before you go in front of camera !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should be able to do this, but it depends on what you're looking for. When you finish the video (post it or whatever), if you want the gameplay to stay in 60fps, you should make the sequence 60fps, and just put the 24fps footage in it. The 24fps footage will have repeated frames, but if you want to maintain the 60fps, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. (If you want, you can try to use optical flow to let Premiere try to add frames in between, but that can cause artifacts, so I wouldn't do that unless you need it.)

If the 60fps doesn't matter, you can make a 24fps sequence and have the 60fps footage in it, which will loose some frames.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines