Quick question about the DX12 update

Contributor ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Better stability and performance with DirectX 12" – This is so vague. What does this mean exactly?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the following link for more information on DX12 support  - https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/user-guide.html/premiere-pro/using/whats-new/2021-4.ug.html#sup...

Also check why DX12 is better than OpenGL - https://www.geeks3d.com/20160105/direct3d-12-vs-opengl-a-quick-test/

Vishu Aggarwal
Adobe Certified Instructor, Professional and Expert

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think the big gain here is HDR support...

The performance is better in DX12 vs OpenGL, but the truth is pretty much DX12 is where the industry focus is and will be for the foreseeable future.

Stability, I believe is derived from the fact that there is constant (and consistent) development for DX12, bugs get reported faster, more often and thus give you stability.

The secret (once you're in the club) words they used in the release notes were 'modern development environment'.

Moving to DX12 is a good long-term plan.  The fact we get HDR support now, and a small 'speed bump' is good, but long term is why this change is important.   I suspect that we will see some features within premier get updates and performance will climb as portions of the code continue to get moderinized and stay in sync with the video card hardware and drivers much better going forward. 

There is also a reduction in the cost of devolopement that Adobe will benifit from, but we will get updates and bug fixes quicker as the API's they need to manage gets reduced in complexity.

I also egerly await other persepectives, I look forward to seeing additional responses to your question.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines