• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quicktime Screen Recordings in CC 2017

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I commonly use Quicktime screen recordings as a part of my projects for work and since updating to CC 2017, Premiere and After Effects seem to have issues with these kinds of files. For instance, if a screen recording is 45 minutes long, when I import it into Premiere it will be something like 6 minutes long. Everything that is supposed to be in the screen recording IS there, however, it's as if the video has been sped up. More curiously, the audio that was recorded in the screen recording is the correct speed, though it gets cut off when the video ends. Has anyone had this issue/can we expect a fix anytime soon?

Current system:

Late 2013 Mac Pro

2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5

64GB RAM

AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

For screen recordings only:

Early 2011 MacBook Pro

2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

8GB RAM

I've never had this issue with any other version of Premiere/After Effects.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did actually end up switching to Screenflick. When I got the settings right it's been butter every time now. And it doesn't use as many resources so when I record After Effects tutorials, it doesn't slow my system down or get the fans going. Even with QT I had to always nudge everything about 15 frames but there seems to be no lag in my Screenflick recordings. I'd recommend giving it a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI

I was having the same problem, but discovered an easy fix. Open your screen recording in Quick Time then export the file as a .mov. Then simply drag the new file into premier pro, seems to work fine now. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just confirming that I too have the same problem [currently using PP CC 2018 v12 build 224] and importing QT screen recording clips are being shortened. I tried DesignEclectic's "easy fix" but that isn't working but converting my clips using HandBrake works.

Tedious step but I'll take it for now versus using an older version of PP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey just to add to my fix, which still works for me. I make the screen recording. Then i save it to desktop. After that I trim the video in QT, then export as a 4k file. Then drag into Premier Pro 2018, works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, if you transcode it in some fashion it should work. It was just nice to be able to bring the files in directly before. With this fix it's no different than using any other screen recording software out there (though free is good, haha).

I still have no idea why variable frame rates—though unsupported—worked before but stopped. If you end up screen recording a lot, I recommend Screenflick. It uses way less resources to record so I get way less fan noise and since I'm recording in AE, AE gets more rendering power. You can also record a bunch of things and batch render them out if you want. It also supports pausing and a few other nice features. And if you like to have the natural sounds of clicks or typing in the background, these are dead on synced with what's going on, which Quicktime never did. I always had to add like a 9 frame delay even when it worked. Anyway, glad you found a solution that works for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use After effects CS6! Seems to handle the screen recorded footage and audio perfectly.

All I did was dump the footage into a 29.97fps comp and output from there you can then use the footage in Ae2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It takes way longer to edit things in AE because it's not built for it, but that should work, yeah. If you have to edit anything longer, you might as well just transcode it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is still not fixed. I used Handbrake and a preset frame rate  to export video and audio that would stay in sync for CC 12.0.0 (Build 224).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ey TALink87​, easy solution.

When you make screen capture in Quicktime and in the most screen captures applications, the final video you have it'll be in Variable Frame Rate (VFR) and you have to do this.

Open the captured video file in Quicktime player and press Cmd + I and see CPS framerate. In my case is 29,97, but surely you have less than me.

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-03 a la(s) 19.54.50.png

Then, import the captured video in PrPro and right clic, choose Modify / Interpret Footage...

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-03 a la(s) 19.55.57.png

Choose "Assume this frame rate:" option and put the CPS framerate that you see in Quicktime player, then Ok.

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-03 a la(s) 20.00.59.png

The video now it's ok but the audio maybe it's have an issue, do this:

Go to the Quicktime player, open the same captured video and choose File / Export As... / Audio solo...

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-03 a la(s) 20.15.52.png

And then you sync this audio with your video and that's all.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines