Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"608 over 708" Caption Settings

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I have to deliver an advertisement for television broadcast. The broadcaster is asking for 608 captions encapsulated as 708. They require an MXF file with the captions embedded into the file. The also make the following two points:

1. No EIA-608 closed caption signal should be present in the active part of the picture, nor elsewhere in the vertical interval of the video signal

2. We do not accept pure EIA-708 subtitles

My question is, what are the necessary Caption settings in Premiere to embed "608 over 708" captions? Is it even possible? On my timeline I currently have two subtitle tracks, one is 708 and one is 608, is that sufficient?

Adobe has a guide which says "the majority of premium content produced for the United States today still contains 608 captions embedded in the 608 over 708 digital format" but the guide does not explain how to create them.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Export , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any way to make this kind of choice in PR. If PR will do this, it must be the default "608 over 708." So make a test sample and see if it is the format they want.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Stan,

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad I wasn't missing something obvious. I'll be trying a few configurations and seeing which one they accept.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know. I don't find this concept in any other thread.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I sent a version that contained two captions layers, one 708 and one 608 that were identically timed and the broadcaster accepted them. I guess that is what they meant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for reporting back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines