Highlighted

"Default text" slide out of nowhere

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm throwing together a very brief speaker vid and I was futzing around trying to drop a short title slide at the beginning. I was paying attention to the various Pr windows when I looked up and suddenly there was a lower third sort of title saying "Default Text." I had not put it there; there is no video track containing such a slide; it apears during the entirety of the video. I cannot delete it or edit it or nuthin'. It needs to go! Anyone with a solution to this?

ps--I also just created a new timeline and copied and pasted the edit and the "Default Text" remained

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by R Neil Haugen | Adobe Community Professional

That is the Effects panel, where you grab effects to apply ... we need to see the Effects Control panel, where you control effects applied to the sequence. As below ...

Effects Controls and Effects panels.PNG

And you have a layer of the one sequence panel that says "draft" ... same as the image in the program monitor.

Go to the Graphics workspace ... which is there precisely for working graphics in Premiere ... select the Draft clip on V4, and see if you don't have that showing in both the Effects Control Panel and the EGP in the Edit tab.

Note in my image, I'm showing the Graphics controls section at the top of the ECP, and the sequence ... with the graphics clip "Hey There!" selected, and the EGP panel edit tab on the far right.

You have controls for that graphics clip in both the ECP and the EGP. You can delete if from the timeline panel or the ECP or the EGP.

Neil

EGP Edit panel and ECP Graphics Control.PNG

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

"Default text" slide out of nowhere

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm throwing together a very brief speaker vid and I was futzing around trying to drop a short title slide at the beginning. I was paying attention to the various Pr windows when I looked up and suddenly there was a lower third sort of title saying "Default Text." I had not put it there; there is no video track containing such a slide; it apears during the entirety of the video. I cannot delete it or edit it or nuthin'. It needs to go! Anyone with a solution to this?

ps--I also just created a new timeline and copied and pasted the edit and the "Default Text" remained

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by R Neil Haugen | Adobe Community Professional

That is the Effects panel, where you grab effects to apply ... we need to see the Effects Control panel, where you control effects applied to the sequence. As below ...

And you have a layer of the one sequence panel that says "draft" ... same as the image in the program monitor.

Go to the Graphics workspace ... which is there precisely for working graphics in Premiere ... select the Draft clip on V4, and see if you don't have that showing in both the Effects Control Panel and the EGP in the Edit tab.

Note in my image, I'm showing the Graphics controls section at the top of the ECP, and the sequence ... with the graphics clip "Hey There!" selected, and the EGP panel edit tab on the far right.

You have controls for that graphics clip in both the ECP and the EGP. You can delete if from the timeline panel or the ECP or the EGP.

Neil

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card.

Have you tried quitting and restarting?  Always a good place to start.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, I tried the quit/restart. No go.

iMac Retina 5K, 27" Quad -core i7,  OS10.1.5 (edit being done on the iMac, i.e. no peripherals involved)

PremierePro CC v14.3.0 ... 32 GB RAM ... AMD Radeon R9 M295X ... 4 GB VRAM

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2020 0
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we need to make sure there's no operator error here.  Don't get offended, we all make mistakes, me included as hard as that is to imagine...  So how many video tracks are there in the timeline?   if you shift click on the eyeball in the timeline patch panel so you turn off all the video track outputs, does the title disappear?  If you click on each track's eyeball and toggle it on and off, when does the title disappear?  Any chance you nested the title within a clip on the track?  When you've located the track with the title, if you double click on the clip does it load in the source monitor, or in a new sequence in the timeline.  If it's a new sequence in the timeline, you've nested the title and the background video...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not at all. No offense taken. Answers in order:

--4 video tracks, but only one has the actual footage. Another just has a few white flashes between hard cuts. The other two have my work-around for this kerfuffle: I've put a black box over the offending type in one track and added "(DRAFT)" to another (thankfully that's all it is at the moment)

--Not familiar with the term "patch panel" but if you're talking about the track settings to the far left (the only place there are eyeballs after all) Yes, "Default Text" does disappear.

--Yes, it remains visible as each individual track is de-eyeballed...or whatever that's called (except for the track with the footage; see last answer)

--I suppose it could be nested, but since I don't know how to do that, it would have been done completely accidentally. I was searching around trying to figure out how to add a simple lower-third before it appeared (I haven't used Pr is some time)

--The offending type is on the track with the actual footage. Double-clicking on the clip brings it up in the source monitor (without "Default Text") so I guess it is not nested.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again. Not to bug, but did any of this raise a red flag for you? If I don't figure this out soon I'll have to re-cut this whole thing.  Thx.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2020 0
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now, a screen-grab showing the Program monitor, timeline panel, and Effects Control Panel would be most helpful.

Or maybe a screen-grab for each video track involved. That would be best, as we could get more data.

Drag/drop the images directly into your text reply area so we can see them without downloading anything.

Oh ... and were you using the Legacy Titler or the new Graphics workspace to add text when this appeared?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, I don't know what I was doing when the offending type appeared. I just looked up at one point and it was sitting there. I also can't say what I had been using. Ya know--and I'm sre you'll love this--came to Pr from FCPX and I found the titling (in FCPX) much more intutive and I've just never gotten used to doing in in Pr, so I was just grasping at straws trying to get a lower third in.

Well I took those screen grabs but I'm not sure what info you'll glean from them: 

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 5.13.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 5.16.52 PM.png

  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2020 0
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay. I never got an alert for your reply.

Ach. Sorry, too, for muddying the waters. I shouldn't have sent the screenshot with "(DRAFT)" showing. Of course that would show up as you describe because that's what *I* put in to cover up the offending "Default Text" so that the client wouldn't see it.

I was going to attach a screen grab of the windows as you request, blinding the '(DRAFT)" layer and the "text block" layer (which is the background for "DRAFT" to fully obscure "Default Text") as I should have done first time.

HOWEVER...your sending me to the ECP revealed an "edit text" control button that I did not knowingly place there. The shot I'm attaching is an exception in that it alone has 5 of those butons whereas the other clips only have 2. Clicking on one of those buttons brings up a text box with the words "Default Text." If I select one and delete the text, nothing happens. But if I select/delete every instance of that text button only then does "Default Text" disappear.

Soy eah,  I dunno why they are there, and the only reason I can figure on the one clip with 5 instances of the text button is that I was parked on that clip when I ws strugglig to create the lower third I wanted. But that still doesn't explain how any of them got there.

Well, anyway, thanks for sending me to where I needed to go to figure it out (sort of).The ECP with the "Default Text" button selected.The ECP with the "Default Text" button selected.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh ... I'd never seen that before! That's the "Simple Text" effect. I didn't even know of it, and ... I'm not sure why anyone would use it.

That's the confusion, and it's not something that's connected with the Essential Graphics panel. So it only has controls in the ECP, and nothing in the EGP. I would recommend not using it, as there's so little you can do with it.

Stick with the Essential Graphics text processes.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Riiiiight. Well, like I said, that text thing was done unwittingly. I too did not know it existed to use.

Anyway, it's gone now.

thx

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 1
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And hey, thanks for showing me something that I didn't even know was there! I've no clue what that's for, maybe I'll remember to ask an engineer next time we actually can attend something like NAB 'live and in-person!'.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 1