• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Detach proxies" feature

Participant ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Essentially a very simple question:  Is there a "Detach proxies" feature in the latest CC 2018 version?  Didn't see any reference to proxy management in the release notes.

If not, the rest is more of a rant, so TLDR at your own risk:

This is one of those "individual user ripping hairs and exclaiming how come this isn't a high-priority problem that everyone would be making noise about and Adobe's team would obviously fix quickly" cases.  Makes me wanna be able to run surveys to see how many people use a certain feature and experience a problem. But I digress a bit...

Ever since the very-useful proxies workflow was released in 2016, I've been using it and I've been experiencing repeated issues with Premiere forgetting proxy links, and stuck on forgetting them. I'm hardly the only one:

Proxies not working - any tips?

Remove Proxies From Project

No way to remove proxies from project

The workflow to "forget" proxies - hit "cancel" or "Offline all" when Premiere complains about them, save and close the project - doesn't work for me and other users, as seen in those threads.

The official response has been "There is currently no way to totally delete references to the Proxies". Isn't it astonishing? Pretty straightforward, attach proxies...detach proies. As basic as having a feature to import media into a project - without a feature to delete clips. And this quote was posted in August 2016...

I just spend 4 hours troubleshooting why AME kept crashing until I narrowed the cause to those pseudo-missing proxies. Yes, they're supposed to be ignored by AME or PP exports but they made the dynamic link daemon hang every time until I managed to fix the proxy links.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Sorry for the wait, but Detach Proxies is now added to Premiere Pro 14.3.1.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/whats-new/2020-4.html#detach-proxies

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DrewPost,

If you want to leave feedback for the devs, here you go: Premiere Pro: Hot (949 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Check out this article as well: Re: Remove Proxies From Project

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have an answer as I was dealing with a similar frustrating issue.  When I move to export the timeline, I am warned that "the timeline contains references to proxies that will be included in my final export."  I don't want that, so naturally I come looking in the forums for answers.  And it looks the the "mass proxy purge" isn't possible without deleting or moving the proxy folder.  Which is undesirable.  But then I remembered a handy feature.  If I highlight the videos on the  timeline, and tap the" toggle proxies* button,"  the proxies are deactivated for playback.  I can confirm that because the proxies look very different in my case. 

Excellent

But the message still comes up when I export.  Hmmm.  I'm exporting now as we speak and can tell you if either that's a bunk message, or the export still reverts to the proxy (Which would be disappointing because after effects has a simple way of dealing with rendering with proxies or not).

*- NOTE:  Toggle proxies button needs to be added to the playback window and the source playback window by clicking the "+". and dragging the botton to that bottom bar of tools, next to the playhead area.  Do that on both windows....very handy to have.

I'm shooting a 4k feature film, so I am surviving by this very feature.  I hope it works.  I'll post again when the export is complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked.  So in summary, toggle proxies will activate and deactivate all the proxies you have on your timeline.  Just select all and hit the toggle button.

As for deleting proxies.  Just delete the folder you saved your proxies in, or search the word _proxy, and select and delete.  Hope that helps.  -Jesse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YEP... Done with some projects and I am glad I googled this before deleting the proxies... No what???? I have hundreds of GB I dont need for now. Maybe later I can re Proxy them... ADOBE, Please provide a way to handle proxy files manually deleted like

---> "Proxy(s) Are Missing / Deleted - Keep reference But Offline?" YES would allow for them to be recreated later BUT NO MORE missing dialogs. NO would then ask if you want them to be relinked or recreated?

Thanks!

Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There totally should be a detach proxies feature!! But I can't seem to find anything that does the trick simply. HOWEVER, I did find a work around that lets you keep your proxies and simply disconnect from them. I've only done it once, but it worked for me.

1. Select all of the footage you want to detach proxies from.

2. Right click and select "Create Proxies"

3. Chose an ingest setting that you think will process the fastest, it doesn't really matter which one, but this will help save some time.

4. Chose a destination for the proxies that is not next to original media. (I use my desktop since it's only going to have to create one file, and you are going to delete it anyway.)

5. Hit OK and wait for media encoder to open.

6. Let media encoder run until the first proxy has been rendered. Go ahead and pause or stop the queue once the second clip begins encoding.

7. Check in premiere. The proxies for all of the footage you selected should now be offline, except for one, the one that already rendered in media encoder. (Right click the top of your project panel to change metadata to display proxy status in order to see if the proxies are online or offline)

8. Close media encoder or just delete the rest of the queue. Delete the file from your desktop.

All of the proxies should be offline now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the wait, but Detach Proxies is now added to Premiere Pro 14.3.1.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/whats-new/2020-4.html#detach-proxies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Trent, I'm trying to use it but it is disabled. Is there anything I have to do before?

Thx.

Schermata 2020-12-14 alle 09.39.38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines