Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

".dv" file format no longer supported

New Here ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I film videos on an old mini DV tape recorder and have a ton of footage on my harddrive which all has the ".dv" file ending. I was aware that newer versions of Premiere Pro no longer supported this file format so I was editing in a 2017 version with no problems. Now, all of a sudden it seems that support for .dv files has been dropped in all versions of Premiere, as I can't get it to work in any version I've tried (including a 2015 version).

I imagine that there is no longer a workaround to get these files working in Premiere. So my question is, how should I convert these files? Which format should I convert them to for the least amount of quality loss? Which programm/app should I use to do this, seeing as Adobe Media Encoder doesn't support .dv anymore either?

I would really appreciate any help.

Cheers,

Jan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to add: The footage was captured on the same Windows PC that I am trying to edit it on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Jan, if this is a QuickTime file, it's likely due to the following: Dropped support for QuickTime 7 era formats and codecs

Kind Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I thought as much, that doesn't really answer my question though.

Thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FFmpeg can convert .dv files into a variety of formats (list of supported file formats). However, it's a command-line tool.

If you don't like command-line, then there are other alternatives - such as Handbrake or VLC (How-To).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thanks! Do you also happen to know which file format is best to convert to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd say MP4... But if you do have some spare time, try out various well-known formats like AVI or WMV (Windows only) and compare them

By the way: Premiere Pro supported file formats

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be able to convert them to DV .avi files.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/DVdate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having this problem. I make video art that I shoot on a VHS camera but capture on a mini dv tape deck. I want to use Premiere to edit, but they don't allow .dv files. I've spent weeks trying to make it work. So much of my work is about the quality being VHS/mini DV, but its pointless if I have to convert these through mpegstreamclip and lose the quality or pixelate the footage. I don't want to use Final Cut Pro, but I feel like I have no choice. Final Cut is so difficult now. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@defaulthsw8sgz1lkb7  Try ffmpeg / shutter encoder to rewrap(remux) .dv into .avi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines