• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Ghost" Nvidia Codec... GPU unused...

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I use an MSI GE73 Raider with I7 processor, 16GB RAM and a NVIDIA GTX1060.

With Premiere Pro & Media Encoder 14.9 GPU is not used in rendering also if HW encoding is selected and "Nvidia Codec" appears on encoding window...

The rendering time is intolerable... I have a second machine with an AMD RX580, that in the past was  less efficent than machine with nvidia card, but now, for the same video the AMD Codec use 100% of GPU and 20% of CPU and Nvidia Codec 0% of GPU and 30% of CPU (see attachment) and the rendering time is comparable as "only software" option... 😞

I performed a clean uninstall with DDU 18.xxx in safe mode, and reinstalled lastest NVidia Studio Drivers but nothing chenged... 😞 

I noticed that debug console (xxxx) shown different options for the 2 different machines (I think is normal because of different hardware is recognized, but i posta slo this detail if it can help...)

Please Help me... The Adobe Support is useless... after 2 days in various chat no solution are proposed from Adobe...

MSI GE73VR 7RE

Windows 10 Home 64 bit Ver.2009(OS build 19042.804)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, 6144 MB

16GB RAM DDR4-2400

Moderator Note: Link/text removed.

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have CUDA renderer enabled? (Project Settings > General .. > Renderer .. )

What is the color of the timeline render bar, red or yellow?

Do you have any VFR (variable framerate) footage on a timeline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

CUDA Render is enable, recognized and used, on the various windows but GPU is 0% (max 10% peak for instants).

The timeline render bar is obviously red in some zones but the project is the same in 2 differnt machines with a big render time differnce... and use of 100% of AMD GPU...

No VFR footage, all source clips have CFR (25FPS) from the same camera.

CODEC.JPGGPU.JPGAMD.JPGNVIDIA.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DBStudio70  I have impression that you confuse NVEnc with CUDA renderer. It's not the same thing.

So again, what renderer is selected in Project Settings > General .. > Renderer .. ?

What is your export settings? Remember, if you choose 'hardware encoding' and '2pass mode', it will automatically fall back to software encoding without any notice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Basil, I know the differences and I you can se in the posted pictures for Export settings HW encoding is selected and NVEnc is recognized and used by Premiere.

Sorry if I mentionned CUDA Codec, only beacuse on Media encoder popup Windows also this description is shown.

PPRo CUDA.JPGPPro Pref.JPGNVEnc Export.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Clear media cache manually - close Adobe PP/AME/AE, go to cache location and delete folders: Media Cache, Media Cache Files, PTX, Peak Files

2) Try to turn off Hardware accelerated Decoding in Preferences > Media...  Remember to clear media cache each time you change this settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the AMD gpu can support more h.264 codecs than Nvenc. Try Quick Sync and see what happens. That being said you may need to close Premeire Pro and open it up again from time to time. I have noticed Quick Sync can cut out. There is a bug.  Quick Sync will work for 10 or even 40 minutes and then it is gone. I have to close Premeire Pro every time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RjL190365  is the best brain about this around here. Hopefully he'll pop in at some point.

My understanding is that some of the 'hardware encoding' options mean that if the CPU has specialized internals designed for H.264/5 encoding, those parts of the CPU will be used. That would throw the encoding to the CPU, again because of the specialized bits involved.

So it is something a user needs to test. On some machines, 'hardware encoding' using the CPU's special bits (when available) may be faster than using the CPU/GPU in whatever combo PrPro will work for that seqeunce. Or it might not.

The difference comes from how 'powerful' the CPU's internal H.264/5 encoding capabilities are. And that isn't something that "Adobe" has any control of. It can vary widely between CPUs also, with the cost of the CPU having nothing to do with the specialized H.264/5 encoding it may have inside.

So the question here is, does that computer encode the same file better with that hardware acceleration on or off?

The difference between your two computers as far as internal hardware specifically designed for H.264/5 encoding could be "profound". Easily.

This whole long-GOP encoding/decoding thing as a great rabbit hole to drop down into for deep discussions.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks neil.

The difference between SW or HW encoding with NVidia CODEC is minimal (better with HW, but few minutes...)

I remember that in previous version of Premiere/Media Encoder was not this difference from Nvidia and AMD HW Codec and also with NVidia GPU was used intensively.

Then i have seen the "debug" console in Media Encoder have different options from 2 machines...so Premiere engine seem to have control on HW and CPU/Capability evaluation/use.

Thanks again

I don't lose the hope to solve...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DBStudio,

I'm confused. NVIDIA codec? Where did these video files originate? That would help understand why things might not be working.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin.

The original video files are created with Sony A7iii with H.264 Codec onboard, 25fps.

I don't know your dibta/confusion about "NVIDIA Codec", but in the recent versions of Premiere Pro &Media Encoder, as you can see on posted pictures, if you select HW encoding in the exporting window, PPro or MEnc show/use "Nvidia Codec", or "AMD codec" if the video board is recognized/compatible

thanks.

DB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nvenc and Quick Sync should both work with the A7 III. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

DBS,
Is there anything unusual about these clips? Are they 10 bit 4:2:2 HEVC files? Let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines