Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Legacy title" panel size changes every time I reopen

Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2018 Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe community,

I am doing a new project where I have to use a lot of on screen text. I am using "Legacy Title" to create those text.

The problem that I am having is that the size of the panels change every time I reopen the titles.

Below are the images:

1) First time I open it. This is normal. All three panels are divided properly.

Capture_01.PNG

2) Second time I open: Look at the left and right panels. Right panel gets extended and the left one gets squished.

Capture_02.PNG

3) Third time I open the title. Again look at the left and right panels.

Capture_04.PNG

This gets really annoying when dealing with lots of on screen text!

Any help will be appreciated.

K

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Hi, we fixed the issue where the legacy titler panels weren't showing up at all in the default workspaces. Unfortunately, this fix came at the end of the 13.0.2 cycle and we ran out of time to fix a side effect, where the panels aren't maintaining their original layout. Given that the original problem prevented access to the legacy titler panels, we wanted to provide that fix ASAP. We hope to get the layout resizing bug (now a separate issue) fixed soon. If you reset the workspace, that should r

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 126 Replies 126
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jarle Leirpoll wrote an ebook on creating mogrts in Ae for "deployment" in Premiere ... and I was the spell-checker/grammarian and a tester of everthing in it. When Adobe program people were looking the final draft over to check for accuracy, they ended up buying it out. And publishing it via link free to all ...

Making Mogrts

It's a very direct, easy to read and follow introduction to getting mogrts made in AfterEffects and then exporting them via folder or Library for use in Premiere.

One of the reasons to read it is it shows you how to open and modify mogrts in Ae ... which has a ton more tools for spiffing up things and text movement options and such.

I highly recommend you download and read the book. Creating mogrts in Ae is probably the simplest thing to use that app for as a starter in AfterEffects work.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump. Exact situation (the same panels warping the same way) still happening here with me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might want to get used to the new Graphics Panel. The Legacy titler will never get updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sigh, just updated Premiere and still unable to fix legacy title workspace. I have to make a sub-sequence for every title I want to save with effects; margins, crop etc. Is there an alternative?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workspace still a mess.

Also in 2020 Arrange has been grayed out which will prevent you from changing the stack order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been about a year since this issue was acknowledged by Adobe. It remains broken, and still severely interrupts my workflow.

What on Earth are you guys doing? This isn't a wildly complex feature. It's a layout resetting. How could this possibly still be broken a year later? It's a pretty significant issue and a frequent waste of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont think Adobe want to spend time on a feature that is eventually going to be deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sigh. Been with Adobe for years, but this sure wastes a lot of my time having to redo workspace every time. Saving as sub-sequence does nothing. Is there an alternative that would be Premiere compatible? Probably not or someone would have shared. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've been having this problem for the past year too. When will this be fixed? Anyone come up with a solution? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hunter,

There are some things about graphics in Premiere that I criticise regularly, some things I push for. Such as currently on another forum I'm pushing for simpler tools for creating shapes in Premiere ... an ability to say use the Program monitor's pen tool to select a vertice of a shape, and have an Angle setting appear, so you can lock that vertice to X angle. There are ways to accomplish this, but they take a number of steps and certainly aren't intuitive. Here's a request I've just filed:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/39731842-allow-users-to-set...

So ... yea, some things need improvement. And their UserVoice system is the place to jump on or add things, and ... as Adobe lives by metrics, they collate all reports/comments and pass those up to the upper managers who decide budgets. Give 'em some metrics. PLEASE.

I haven't used the "Legacy Titler" over the last three years for anything but testing other user's troubles with it. I work with Premiere and for the things that are better done with graphics in Ae (by design of the apps) ... I work with Ae/Pr workflows.

I would suggest that learning the current tools replaces anything you could do in the Titler. And a lot more. There's an eBook by Jarle Leirpoll that, while Adobe was doing a final check-through, they bought out for use on their websites, and it's available for free to all. This gives a decently complete and clean look at building mogrts in Ae and porting them for deployment in Pr. [Note: I am credited as spell-checker and also served as basic grammarian/tester for the book.]

Leirpoll ebook, Making Mogrts

Their current system is actually built with the concept that Ae is where the more complex graphics are built, and Pr has a 'basic' toolset for simpler things.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

Thanks for the overview. I sense you are correct but with a caveat. In
my experience, Pr most closely resembles an online NLE for broadcast.
I use it for the web, broadcast and film. For me, its toolset aligns
most closely with broadcast. For that reason, the Ae/Pr graphics
workflow is, at this point, disjointed. A broadcast workflow
necessitates being able to see your overlays floating over an edit in
real time. Something as simple as lower thirds can be agonizing when
hot-swapping between Ae and Pr. Not always. Not even often but it can
be depending on the complexities of layer interaction and your client
(and you know what I mean). The reason both Legacy and EGP are useful
is their immediate feedback. I honestly don't care which one works but
one MUST be 100%. I do a lot of work in Ae and almost none of that
work is titling. Workflow is dictated primarily by time and right now
Adobe is in an awkward stage where user time seems to be their lowest
priority.

I will be sure to send respectful thoughts over to User Voice.

Thanks for the insight and open mind.

--
Hunter Cressall
Senior Production Associate, Pack Health
[personal info deleted by mod]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Hunter,

Sorry for the frustration with Legacy Titler. I do recommend forcing yourself to switch to the Essential Graphics panel workflow. You can get things looping from in to out so you can make adjustments to your graphics while monitoring video for most titling duties. When there is something required from After Effects, then I'll go there, but I usually don't need it for basic titling duties. One basic rule of thumb is to keep the Essential Graphics panel and the Effect Controls panel open at the same time. That can help have access to some of the animation features, like keyframes and the ability to show or hide them.

Good luck with your efforts.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil I agree but our workflow prioritizes speed so while I too prefer the Pe/Ae workflow, there simply isn't time to always take advantage of that workflow considering the volume I deal with.

To stress, what we are asking isn't improvements to Legacy but fixing bugs that were created as a result of maintanence.

Also feedback to the community would be nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hunter,

Good comments ... yea, you're correct, Premiere was designed around broadcast standards. Which actually is the basis still for nearly all media, as well ... the amount of actual HDR produced professionally is fairly small. That will be growing and a lot of people want in, but ... jeepers ... the cost of producing profesionally referenced HDR is stunning.

In another forae, I'm in discussions with a number of 'power' users of Premiere and Ae and other apps. One said the problems with limits in mogrts currently in Premiere make him choose to create all his graphics in Ae, and simply comp them into his Pr projects.

I've done enough Ae comps in Pr, especially on medium/lesser machines, to not ... prefer ... using Ae comps. My stuff is also web-bound and for some local clients. So doesn't justify a mega-machine/RAID array to work upon. Although ... the rig I'm ordering now is about double the cost of any computer I've yet used. Sigh.

So ... as Jarle's books preaches and teaches, when I do go to Ae to create a graphic it's for something like the animations for text that are very robust and easy there. But ... I export that as a mogrt with all options for modding that in Pr that are available moved to the EGP panel priort to exporting the mogrt.

That's the workflow that I most suggest ... if you need things not available in Pr, go to Ae, make a mogrt and include all the options you can, then export to a library for use in Premiere.

And the cool thing about this workflow ... if you're working in a shop or network facility. When the 'standard' for the company's logo/text/colors changes, you simply re-do the mogrt in Ae, export that new one and remove the old one from the library or ... simply export the new one with that standar mogrt's name, overwriting that in the Library.

Then the mogrt available for everyone as of that moment is with the new company standard for their graphics.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! That sounds like my new workflow.

Time to stop emulating Chyron by proxy. Probably way past time...

--
Hunter Cressall
Senior Production Associate, Pack Health

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice if this stuff ... the cameras, computers, media, and software didn't always seem to be in a permanent state of flux. Keeping up with all the shifting and changing of things is both taxing at times and annoying.

But ... ain't no way of stopping it. Ah well ... 😉

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would also be nice if we could keep tools that simply work and aren't so clunky as the essential graphics panel. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Different strokes for different folks ... I've always felt the old Legacy Titler was clunky. And the code for it is purely antideluvian ... so yea, it's headed for the dust bin. Though of course there are many who are very comfortable with it.

This last cycle, with adding all of the Titler's keyboard shortcuts to the EGP has been a huge help for production with the EGP/mogrts setup. There are still a few things that need re-making in it, such as ... learning how to handle anchor points and pinning can be counter-intuitive at times. Shapes aren't as flexible and versatile as we need. But ... with another cycle, those will probably also improve.

In general, I can get anything done I need quickly and mostly easily.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good comments.

One thing that happens every year at NAB ... (and yea, gonna miss that this year ... ) ... is talking with the engineers and development staff that Adobe and the other companies bring. Bear in mind, all the engineers I've talked with are pretty decent editors in their own right ... so this is stuff they really get into.

But ... oh my ... are they ever engineers! Gotta love 'em, but ... just wow. Some of the issues that from a users' perspective aren't fluid ... stem from the engineer's designing beautiful code. Making the UI look ... or function ... like the user would prefer, would mean adding clunky things to the code as far as they see it ... and ... well ... you can see their eyes as their mind recoils in horror.

"You can do that now ... just do this, then this, followed by clicking here to set this to X and then go back here and see, it works fine."

That's what, five extra steps? None of them obvious?

"It just works fine as long as you do it correctly."

Every freaking time I need to do those five extra steps that I have to remember?

Blank ... yet intense ... stare.

I've had some long detailed discussions with a few over EGP/mogrt issues. Jarle Leirpoll ("who wrote the Book") has been discussing things with them also. And a lot of improvements have come about over time. There's a few things still needing to fix, such as ... giving us a quick way to make shapes. Such as ... you need a bar under a lower-thirds text line, and it needs to be so many pixels tall with ends chopped at 45* ... and you need to be able to stretch it to fit under text without either getting thicker or having the ends change angles.

Seems like that should be a darn simple thing, but ... it sure ain't to create in Premiere. And just taking a bar and scaling it horizontally typically will end up changing the angles of the ends. NOT usable.

One of the engineers finally came up with a way to do this by making a graphic 'fill' with a linear gradient, and setting a couple extra opacity stops ... and changing the angle of the bar on the controls ... and futzing ... see, it can do it!

Right. They do have staffers though who listen in and go back to talk with the engineers. So ... I'm hoping we'll get some of that sorted because parts of this are ridiculous from a user point of view. And ... we pays their bills, right?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not fixed yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The legacy titler still has issues with its layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2020 and you still haven't fixed this issue.  Also, when you open up Legacy Title it slows to a screeching halt...why is that?  I have a super fast Dell Precision workstation w/ two CPUs and TONS of RAM.  So why the slowdown?  It's like typing in sllllllllllllooooooooooowwwwwwwww mmmmmmmmmmoooooooottttttttiiiiiiiiooooooooonnnnnnnnnnn!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not resolved. Why is it resizing in a way that doesn't make any sense ? Shrinking all the tools and parameters ? What are you doing about that, Adobe ? Fix this for crying out loud, it's been ages now. It's a real clog to the workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might want to get used to th EGP as the legacy title will be removed from the program some day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines