• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Software Only" stuck on encode settings panel.... Premiere Pro CC 2018 latest update

Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am currently experiencing another strange bug since running the update to the latest version of PPCC2018. When I go to encode within Premiere I get "Software only" displayed in the summary area and the encoding settings within this panel are greyed out, as can be seen in the attached image. The encode was taking forever so I stopped it and went and checked and CUDA GPU acceleration had been changed to software only in the Project Settings, which I didn't do myself. I changed this back Mercury GPU Playback and the encode went a lot faster, as fast as I would expect when using GPU.

Now my problem is, whatever project I open I get "Software only" displayed in the summary, even though CUDA is enabled in both PP as well as Media Encoder. The project encodes SEEM to be going at GPU speeds but whatever I do the software only message remains. I have noticed that if I change the codec from H264 to MPEG2 for example, the software only message disappears. I am not now 100% sure if my CUDA acceleration is working correctly as the software only message is on every project I open and go to encode within Premiere. If I select to Queue the encode and use Media Encoder, the drop down menu at the bottom of the encode list says CUDA.

Has anyone else been experiencing this?

I have so far:

1. Re-installed PP CC 2018 latest update

2. Installed latest graphics cards drivers as a clean install

3. Tried opening a new project, saving that as CUDA enabled

But nothing has fixed this...

My setup:

Windows 7 Professional x64

Nvidia Quadro K5200

PP CC 2018 fully up to date

Any advice greatly appreciated!

software_only.jpg

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 30, 2018 Jun 30, 2018

To explain again. It's very simple.

The newest Intel CPU chips have a built-in (therefore "hardware") encoder for H.264.

If you see "hardware" or "software only" in the Export summary box, that is ALL that this refers to. Whether or not the CPU has the new, faster H.264 encoder inside.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the GPU or the use of the GPU as normal in PrPro exports. PERIOD.

Your GPU will still be used for exactly what it is used for, which are those things on the GPU Accelerated list. A

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem! I have been on the phone to Adobe today and we tried a fresh install of Premiere Pro CC as well as what you have tried to no avail.

This is a serious problem Adobe, you need to fix this quickly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok it's not just me then clearly! The fact that Adobe support were going through fix tasks with you would suggest that this isn't normal behaviour due to H264 no longer being supported...I am off to try the suggested patches below and will report back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too! See you on the other side...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me know how you get on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CUDA toolkit installs went fine but have rolled back my driver to an earlier version, so I need to update that (again). I've described my render task in another post but basically, the output summary stated "Software Only" but the GPU was definitely being used during the output. The load on my card reached about 90% and the temperature went up to 75 degrees C. The moment the output was finished the load dropped to zero and liquid-cooling has brought the temp back to 44 degrees C. I think the card was busy and the output summary is misleading. What do others think of the rendering time for the job described? I have a ten-core i7 processor, 64GB of RAM and a GTX1080i graphics card. I need to know Premiere Pro is putting all that investment to good use!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Martyn,

Please let me know the bitrate settings you have chosen to encode the project.

Also, let me know the contents of the projects like Video file formats, sequence settings, images, effects (third party or Premiere Pro's etc.)

Also, can you check export in VBR 1 pass and let me know the results.

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinay. I'll try this too when I am back at my PC. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again. My previous encoding settings when experiencing the issue were:

H264 VBR 2 Pass 15 target 20 max 1920 x 1080p 25p Progressive. Audio 224

Timeline was a mixture of MTS files from an FS7, MTS files from a C100 MK2, native and third party effects and some JPG image files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me know the results when you try encoding in VBR pass 1.

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinay, just tested with 1 pass VBR, no different, same problem. I have also installed the CUDA toolkit and all patches and rebooted my machine. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've finished for the day, so I'll pick this up when I'm back to editing. We seem to have made some progress with VBR Pass 2 not available for some people and that being acknowledged as a shortcoming of the app. What do we think about the evidence I've seen that my GPU is working when the output summary says it isn't? Could that be happening?

Great info on Bill Gehrke's work. Thanks Stan!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you might be right Martyn. It FEELS like a display bug...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there - I found this thread after a little googleing.  My copy of premier 2018 CC also said "software only" in the export settings for h.264 after the latest update.

I can confirm my GPU is being used whilst exporting, despite the confusing message.

adobe.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was rendering a 4k video a moment ago, and i could see around 20% load max on the gpu using Task manager in Windows.

I also see the Software only setting in the export dialog.

Using Windows 10 x64, dual xeon E5 2640-v4 10 core cpu's, 128 gig ram and a Pny Quadro p5000 card.

On a good note, now PPro managed to export my video from my gps, 100+ 1 min long clips it failed earlier for some reason,
just regular HD video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to responding to Vinay's questions, I suggest posting the general performance question in the hardware forum:

Hardware Forum

See Bill Gehrke's testing method:

BillG Video Editing Blog

He is active on the hardware forum. Use the submit button on his site to get the results to him. Don't just post them on the hardware forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on Mac OS.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it due to latest update of Adobe not supporting H264 QT Legacy?

If so, might have to render ProRes then flip to H264?

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carla,

Please try to download the CUDA toolkit with all the 3 patches and restart the machine to check if it helps.

CUDA Toolkit | NVIDIA Developer

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't like how the CUDA tool replaces the existing video driver. What's all that about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm installing just the CUDA toolkit, my driver is more up to date than what's in the package. Using the custom install option 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too late for me, so I'll grab the latest driver again (only did this yesterday). Do you reckon I need to recalibrate my display again? Not sure how drivers affect colour rendition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, Vinay. Did that. Now exporting to H264 mp4 again and I'm still seeing "Software Only" in the output summary. However, in my system monitoring I'm seeing 84% load on my GPU and steadily rising GPU temperature with the fan speed creeping up. I'm outputting a 42 minute sequence of 4k clips to 720p with a target bitrate of 6Mbps. It will take 16 minutes to complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is helpful, but when exporting to some other formats the output info does not show "Software Only" - DNxHD, for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This afternoon I've been outputting a multi-camera job from AVCHD footage (.MTS files). For this project I haven't used any Lumetri effects at all. Outputting to H.264 mp4 I'm seeing 'software only' in the summary and according to my hardware monitor my GPU is NOT being used. It has taken 15 minutes to output a 50-minute sequence with three separate video tracks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines