• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Software Only" stuck on encode settings panel.... Premiere Pro CC 2018 latest update

Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am currently experiencing another strange bug since running the update to the latest version of PPCC2018. When I go to encode within Premiere I get "Software only" displayed in the summary area and the encoding settings within this panel are greyed out, as can be seen in the attached image. The encode was taking forever so I stopped it and went and checked and CUDA GPU acceleration had been changed to software only in the Project Settings, which I didn't do myself. I changed this back Mercury GPU Playback and the encode went a lot faster, as fast as I would expect when using GPU.

Now my problem is, whatever project I open I get "Software only" displayed in the summary, even though CUDA is enabled in both PP as well as Media Encoder. The project encodes SEEM to be going at GPU speeds but whatever I do the software only message remains. I have noticed that if I change the codec from H264 to MPEG2 for example, the software only message disappears. I am not now 100% sure if my CUDA acceleration is working correctly as the software only message is on every project I open and go to encode within Premiere. If I select to Queue the encode and use Media Encoder, the drop down menu at the bottom of the encode list says CUDA.

Has anyone else been experiencing this?

I have so far:

1. Re-installed PP CC 2018 latest update

2. Installed latest graphics cards drivers as a clean install

3. Tried opening a new project, saving that as CUDA enabled

But nothing has fixed this...

My setup:

Windows 7 Professional x64

Nvidia Quadro K5200

PP CC 2018 fully up to date

Any advice greatly appreciated!

software_only.jpg

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 30, 2018 Jun 30, 2018

To explain again. It's very simple.

The newest Intel CPU chips have a built-in (therefore "hardware") encoder for H.264.

If you see "hardware" or "software only" in the Export summary box, that is ALL that this refers to. Whether or not the CPU has the new, faster H.264 encoder inside.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the GPU or the use of the GPU as normal in PrPro exports. PERIOD.

Your GPU will still be used for exactly what it is used for, which are those things on the GPU Accelerated list. A

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried exporting three ways ... H.264, Quicktime using DHxHD codec, and straight DNxHD/OP1a mxf.

Yea, it said "software only" in the H.264 export.

Watched the GPU usage during all three exports, of a clip with a fair amount of Lumetri involved. Identical readings.

So ... my GPU was most definitely used during the H.264 export. As it was the other times also.

Now, as to your comment about exporting with any Lumetri ... unless you are using GPU-accelerated effects, doing significant re-sizing, or one or two other 'exceptions', there won't be any use of your GPU for basic exporting. That's a CPU process within PrPro. So ... basic export of .mts without GPU effects, no GPU involved.

I included the link to the GPU accelerated effects list.

Neil

GPU Accelerated Effects: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/effects.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, just read the OP and seen you flagged this already. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same on my Macbook Pro :

Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.4

2.7 Ghz Intel Core i7

16 GB DDR3

Radeon Pro455 2048 MB

Intel HD Graphics 530 1536MB

Premiere Pro 2018 12.1.0 build 186

In the project settings everything works fine, the problem is in the H.264 export, in the 'Encoding Settings' when I choose

'Hardware Acceleration' I get the attached message ... VBR Pass 1 Hardware Acceleration works... VBR Pass 2 same message

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 10.51.51 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos,

This performance management option is still not incorporated with VBR pass 2. So, you can say it is a limitation for now.

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tx Vinay, yeah for Constant Bitrate CBR as well, so our only option to export H.264 for now is on Variable Bitrate Pass 1 ?

I tried match sequence  its okay no problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos,

Yes, VBR pass 1 is only option for now but we are committed to make this feature better in upcoming releases.

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be awesome Vinay ! tx a lot

If possible too, since you are taking notes for the next update, to get Font and Font Style editing capabilities with 'mogrt' files

so that we can have full control over fonts of mogrt files inside Premiere Pro... Right now we have to go back to after effects,

change the font, export the mogrt again, then import it back to premiere, or workarounds to create checkboxes with expressions

linking several different fonts,  as well as checkboxes and expressions for each font style (bold, light, italic etc ...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Point taken. Please file this feature request in the below user voice link.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So no resolution for this one yet? THat's pretty average.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CarlaN,

Is hardware acceleration enabled for H.264? That might explain why the GPU is disabled for encoding.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a specific way to enable it for different codecs? I thought it was either enabled or disabled across the program as a whole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin. I thought hardware acceleration for H264 WAS GPU enabled encoding? I didn't even know there was an option to "Enable Hardware Acceleration for H264"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Hardware acceleration" is the QuickSync feature in some newer Intel CPU's. That allows the CPU to speed up the work, and as the CPU needs to work without being joggled, it locks out the GPU for the encoding work.

This is not the same thing as say, setting GPU acceleration in the preferences.

So locking out the GPU is due to Intel's settings for QuickSync in their CPU's is my understanding of this.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting, Neil. I am only seeing this on my new-build machine. But how does it fit with me seeing load on the GPU (up to 70%) and CPU cores when outputting? Unfortunately, I haven't tried Bill Gehrke's test files yet, since I put the "Software only" message down to a bug and my render times seem quite fast (much faster than on my older machine).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a difference it seems between the encoding of the codec, and say processing of effects such as Lumetri. Different tasks. PrPro will use the GPU to do the Lumetri/Warp/GPU-accelerated processing, but when that data is passed on to the CPU for encoding the exported file, the CPU won't use the GPU for encoding the file.

From the various test results people have posted here & elsewhere, that new QuickSync capability is a mixed bag. Some folks, who export much of their material in one of two categories: 1) very little GPU-accelerated effects or 2) low-powered GPU, get a definite benefit from QuickSync.

But some others, who 1) do mostly GPU-accelerated entire sequences and 2) have major GPU power, get longer export times using QuickSync.

And the final group ... those with mixed presence of GPU-accelerated effects and mid/low level GPUs, have trouble sorting out whether or not it's better or worse.

So ... at the current state of QuickSync, just from what I've seen posted, one may or may not find it of advantage. It ... depends.

Clear as mud, right?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely clear as mud lol. I get it though. I fall into the category of complete timelines that are GPU rendered and then encoded with a mix of GPU and NON-GPU effects. I still can't see how I can tell if Quicksync is enabled on my CPUs. My workstation has 2 x Xeon CPUs installed but I don't even know if they enable or can run Quicksync. I am hoping my original issue is just an erroneous line of text "Software Only" displayed when in fact I am encoding using my GPU all the way. Encode times seem to be up there with times previous to the update causing the message to be displayed. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think QuickSync is in the Xeons ... all I saw mentioned in the blurb were i7/i9 chips. Takes a bit of looking up, and yea, it's not the most user-friendly blurb I've read.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil. I haven't got any Quick Sync enabled apps or software running on my machine as that seems to be the only way to enable Quick Sync and use it? Unless I am misunderstanding this? Here's the info I found: Intel® Quick Sync Video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the exact same issues on two PC's since upgrading to the latest version and the latest windows build 1709 (16299.431)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you read through the thread for the explanations of QuickSync and what's actually happening here?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quicksync isn't the reason it's happening to me. It's directly related to the big 2018 update, as soon as that got installed I have had this problem and others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been dealing with the same issue regarding "software only" renders when exporting h.264 after the last update.  I spent some time on chat and screen share with adobe support and wanted to share these excerpts to provide some insight.

Upon looking at my device manager---- Agent (who was great) responded

Appears already optimized to use Single GPU, issue cropped up where both Intel and Dedicated cards active, and unlike MAC, we need to disable basic card to push Dedicated GPU usage ...As Latest Nvidia and Adobe Premiere Pro version are facing compatibility glitchees

...Both Nvidia and Adobe are working on it, and it is expected to be fixed next month - June 2018

I should note that I did roll back to an NVIDIA Driver from Dec 2017 which did not resolve the issue.

Here is my GPU / CPU

mygpu.gif

Capture2.JPG

Windows 10 64 bit

Im still confused but hopefully this can provide some insight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.  Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. i7 8700k, 32GB, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB, GTX 1080 ti.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Same problem" ... how about specifying?

Are you talking about the "software only" in the export summary section, which refers to whether or not your CPU has QuikSync *hardware* or not?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines