• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"The File has no audio or video streams" while importing certain .mov and .mp4 files (Windows)

Explorer ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For starters, my specs are as follows:

Machine: ASUS G74SX ACPI x64-based PC
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @2.00GHz
RAM: 12.0 GB
System type: 64-bit
Windows: Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (This is soldered on. I cannot replace or change it)
Version of Premiere: Premiere pro CC 12.0 (Kentos); 12.11 (Build 10)

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, here's what's going on:
There seems to be something within certain .mov and .mp4 files that's not allowing this specific version of Premiere to import them. I say this because I have another, slightly older version of Premiere on my mac, and it imports the same files just fine. In fact, as a part of the project I'm working on, I had to use that to convert the videos to mp4s that the Premiere on Windows would like. I have also never, ever had this issue before, and I've been using Premiere for about 8 years, now. Keep in mind here, there are some other .mp4 and .mov files that I've been able to import without issue.

I have been able to open the problematic files with Quicktime (which I've installed, uninstalled, and then re-installed as of last night) and VLE. I have also been able to convert .mov files into .mp4 from VLE, but never able to import those into this version of Premiere. These particular files do not have any kind of camera attached to them, as they were originally exported from animation programs (TVPaint, specifically), but I've been able to import stuff from there in previous Windows versions of Premiere.

Another note here: I've tried importing these files with Media Encoder, but I pretty much get the same message for some reason.

Could this be a bug, or something wrong with Quicktime, or something else that's up?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, thanks. I didn't know about this until today, as I've been much busier with other things and in other non-Adobe programs. I ended up parallel-installing 2017, exporting the project as an XML, and then opening that in Premiere Pro 2017. Files import there perfectly.

I really hope this doesn't become a brick wall of an issue later on down the road.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys

For those of you still having trouble with this after updating software, reinstalling, renaming or even trying to convert good files which won't import, use Media Encoder CC. I was one of those that did everything and this fixed the issue. Imports like a breeze now. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just created some screen capture videos using the latest version of QuickTime. Premiere Pro CS6 has no trouble importing them. However, the latest version of Premiere Pro CC 2018 will NOT import them. It just throws this error message. Why is it that developers spend so much time "improving" software, but more often than not, break something in the process? Clearly, I was not using QuickTime 7 era formats and codecs as was mentioned above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue, but even Adobe Media Encoder won't help. Here's what I get:

So just to be clear, this is an .mov file that plays fine in VLC Media Player, but no way to get it into my Premiere Pro 2018 very latest version.

It would really be nice to have this bug fixed in the next update Adobe PLEASE!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For your problem this link is correct:

Future versions of Premiere Pro will no longer support Quicktime 7 era formats and codecs

If I'm not mistaken, the .mov of those transitions have codec mjp2 (JPEG 2000), it is no longer supported by the latest version of the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it. It's amazing how quickly obsolescence occurs in today's world. The Buddhists have it right: embrace impermanence and find contentment. Pretty soon phones, plug-ins and partners will last a month. Om mani padme Om!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have an older version of ME installed it may work. I have a CS6 version still installed and it worked as you'd expect it to work.

Kinda bad business to have newer versions have less compatibility when clearly TONS of people have MOV files from older projects.

(note that none of the other suggestions worked for me - renaming extensions, etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out a workaround. Duplicate the file (in case you have any issues with this process). Change the filename extension from .mov to .mp4. Adobe will import and read the duplicated mp4 files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Renaming the file worked for me. The file was an old composited animation. This was a lot simpler than having to leave Premiere and start another program to convert the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to go the OTHER direction - renaming from mp4 to mov, oddly enough.  I shot 65 clips on the same camera with the same settings on the same day and 15 of them, randomly dispersed through the directory, wouldn't import until I renamed them to .mov 's.  

Weird.  But the workaround worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hero answer right here - EZ, quick and it works - now why in th FF the vid's don't work in the first place is absolutely baffling, but appreciate the quick fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you guys figured out, the problem is with the codecs, in that Premiere Pro no longer supports QT7. The easiest way around is to simply use something like VLC to transcode the problematic video file and replacing footage in Premiere with the new format. Easiest fix I've found, isn't really a fix, its a workaround.

Thank you, Adobe!

Anyone know why they discontinued the codec and format? Memory leak, security?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Adobe did not make that decision on its own. Apple did. You see, QuickTime is an Apple origination, and Apple itself had pulled the plug on all of its 32-bit codecs for support. That required everybody that relied on those codecs to also yank support for them as well. All future QuickTime codecs must be completely 64-bit compliant. Which those older codecs NEVER were.

In other words, Adobe had absolutely no say at all whatsoever about this, and it had absolutely no choice at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, RjL190365. Oh, well, like I said, just work around the issue. Sure, a pain in the butt at times, but at least we have options. Would be worse if we had no options, meaning and all support for those old codecs and formats no longer worked at all, in essence, forcing us to keep our old machines running in order to make changes to our old video production files.

I guess my, "Thank you Adobe" isn't all that well placed, for I really do thank Adobe for making things AWESOME! Makes my job so much easier in producing quality content! No jab at them at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After several hours trying to work out why I could load some but not all .mov files I found a fix. Convert your .mov file using HandBrake and it will fix the issue.

Hope this helps!

p.s. The issue is cause by variable frame rates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Handbrake was the only one that I found worked to convert the .mov files. THANK YOU so much for the advice. I tried a multitude of different software, but Handbrake did the trick!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been facing the same issue, while I import my file to premiere it dont have audio. Or the file scratched means don't play smoothly. Then I want to post here new thread just saw this thread on community. Now everthing is good. Actually, I came to know that there was error in importing the file my sports vlog that was recorded with camera. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case anyone still having sound issues with imported MOV files. I was able to import the .mov file, then immediately export as .mp4. That new file, when imported, plays correctly. . . sound and all.

version 12.1.0 (Build 186)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines