"This effect requires GPU acceleration" - despite same effect being in the timeline

Participant ,
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using a Premiere Pro transition pack throughout a music video I've been editing. Now today when I go to work on the project, every time a drag a transition into the timeline, I am getting a "This effect requires GPU acceleration" error, despite the fact that the exact same transitions exist in the project and play back fine. The transitions are not "Presets" within the effect panel, but rather are pre-made sequences that I drag into existing projects, and they use existing native Premiere effects. If I open up the transition sequences to preview them, all the effects playback correctly as well. This error is only occurring when I drag a new version of the effect into the timeline.

I have searched the forums and tried some of the "solutions" like making sure my GPU driver is up to date, and creating a new project.

My specs should be fine as well:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060

32 GB RAM

TOPICS
Effects and Titles, Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using any VR effects on non VR clips?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you go to: file>project settings>genral what have u selected? software only or cuda?? if it's software only switch to cuda. 

Screenshot (14).png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And make sure you are on a Studio driver for that 2060. The recent game-ready drivers are causing all sorts of messes in Premiere the last week or so. For most of us, the most recent Studio driver in a clean install fixes a ton of hurt. Some users have needed to even go one Studio driver version 'back'.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, as for your suggestions: Not doing anything with VR footage. Saw other posts having a similar problem, and figured this didn't apply to me. Checking Project Settings and making sure the Renderer was set to CUDA was the first thing I tried. Tried "Software Only" also, no luck. I have "NVIDIA GeForce Experience" checked that as well to make sure I am on the current Studio driver. I am.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Denez,

Sorry for the bad experience. As I understand it, you don't want to use the GeForce Experience. Download the driver here instead. Install it. Report back. Hope it works.

Thank You,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Ann Bens LATEST
Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont use the Geforce Experience, you dont need it to install drivers.

Its just a piece of software to get personal? info imo.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so good news and bad news.

I thought I had the problem solved. I noticed that one of the clips I was trying to apply the transition to had a Preset effect on it that used an effect called "VR Digital Glitch" and that the transition that I was trying to add was using (among other things) an effect called "VR Chromatic Aberrations." Now, none of my clips are VR at all, these are just the effects that came in the package, and like I said they worked fine on other clips. But once I disabled the effect on the bottom clip, the transition then worked fine. So I just did an export of the bottom clip to "bake in the effect" and BOOM - all was good....

...until now. Later in the day, I am now having a similar issue where no new transition I bring in are working. However this time, instead of the "GPU acceleration" error message, I am getting a blank black screen. My solution earlier where I make sure there are no un-rendered effects bellow the transition is no longer working. Even on straight cuts to un-modified clips. What the heck?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and again, all existing transitions that are in the timeline are working fine. I even tried copying a working transition and pasting in a later point in the time line - the original transition works fine, new transition goes black screen for duration of the transition. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines