Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Radeon RX 5700 XT Thoughts?

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I was just planning on upgrading my GTX 1060 3GB to a Radeon RX 5700 XT. Is it still buggy in the recent Premiere update?

I'm looking at the price to performance, although it would be best to really buy at least a 2070 Super.

I'm just here to here some of your opinions if the 5700 XT would be a bad or great pick.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Right now the RX 5700 XT is not a great choice at all for Premiere Pro due to the bad drivers that are currently available for it. It actually performs slower in Premiere Pro than even a cheapo GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER, let alone an RTX 2060 SUPER. In fact, it does not perform sufficiently better than your current GTX 1060 3 GB card to justify its current street price.

Now, if you have other programs that somehow work better with an AMD GPU than with an Nvidia GPU, then go for it. Otherwise, there

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now the RX 5700 XT is not a great choice at all for Premiere Pro due to the bad drivers that are currently available for it. It actually performs slower in Premiere Pro than even a cheapo GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER, let alone an RTX 2060 SUPER. In fact, it does not perform sufficiently better than your current GTX 1060 3 GB card to justify its current street price.

Now, if you have other programs that somehow work better with an AMD GPU than with an Nvidia GPU, then go for it. Otherwise, there are better choices for less money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for clearing this up!

Yeah i'm also happy with the new premiere update that supports nvidia cards oh so well. It really improved my render times with just a 1060 3gb. Will save up for an rtx then 👌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J, I owe this guy, like, a hundred pizzas for all his help. Glad you got a good answer there.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking at the new iMac for working with Premier, AE, LR, PS, etc. Would you go with the Radeon 5500XTor 5700? The 5700 is a $300 upgrade. But, I'm wondering if one has tested better with heavy video and photo editing. TIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Thanks for clarify!
I'm gonna buy a PC soon and I'm confused if go with a AMD RX 5700XT or the RTX 2060 Super, I mainly used Premiere Pro, After Effects and Photoshop/Lightroom, what should I get for smooth playback in timeline and better optimization?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Avoid 5700XT. I just made full reply to someone else with issues that are happening with it but moderators marked it as a spam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Yeah I was just thinking of giving AMD a chance for editing but went with the Nvidia RTX 2060 Super after a lot of comparison. So far, I'm happy with Premiere having support for Nvidia GPU's and it really sped up my renders 60% more. Cheers mate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you post overnight, S, it sometimes get picked up by our spam software. Sorry!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought a new PC today and I'm having the same performance out the new PC that I was having with a laptop

Desktop: Powerspec 358

CPU: Intel i7 10700(non K)

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

Mother board: ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming 4

Drive 1: Samsung 970 Evo plus 500GB

Drive 2: Samsung 860 QVO 2TB

RAM: 32GB 3200mhz

Laptop: Dell G7 7758

CPU: Intel i7 8750H

GPU: GTX 1060 max q

Drive 1: Samsung 970 Evo plus 500GB

Drive 2: Samsung 860 QVO 2TB

Ram: 16GB

I also try with 32GB but didn't see any additional performance on the laptop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. The 5700 XT is problematic in Premiere Pro. Even when it worked well, it is no faster than a GTX 1660 SUPER in Premiere Pro. But the 5700 XT costs $400-ish, compared to only about $250 for the 1660 SUPER (prices are in USD).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased the same computer and After Effects keeps freezing.  Could this graphics card be why?

I have one more week to decide if I am returning it.  Help

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700

Processor:  AMD Rysen 7 3700X   

SSD

16 gig ram will upgrade asap  thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a common problem with all RDNA-based AMD GPUs, even with the latest drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After spending 5 days understanding what is going on, i found out that Windows update changed my power plan from Performance to Balanced. You can check first if if that is your case too. Set it to performance and see if crashes continues.

Also, disable Windows gaming mode. Just turn off all that crap there. I am running Radeon Pro 20.Q2.1 drivers and my 5700xt is finally stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed the Desktop and still unable to play full res 4k Raw file from canon C200.

New Rig

Ryzen 9 3900x

RTX 2070 super

MSI B550 

Pretty much same performance

Updated to latest version of premiere pro but other editing software work really well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't play is not crashing at least. You would be better with video cards for 4K editing role.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the same thing today, also remove Adenine and switched to AMD pro graphics. Will test Pp and see if it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have 5700 xt and i can't render with adobe encode

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I know the thread is already a bit older, but I was hoping someone could help.

I have a 5700xt, and the card is not recognized at all in Premiere or After Effects (the  Renderer Dropdown is completely greyed out, no GPU acceleration option available).

Is there anyone who at least managed to get the card to show up? (even if slower than other cards)

Adobe Support stated that, because it is not in the recommended list, it is not supported, so they could not really help me with the issue Either.

Many regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am giving this thread a PSA:

The reason for the Radeon GPUs' poorer overall performance in Premiere Pro is not the graphics performance per se, but that OpenCL itself (or at least AMD's implementation of it) severely degrades live playback performance in Premiere Pro (on Windows PCs), and the seriously degraded live playback performance in turn also impacts GPU rendering performance significantly. The Mercury Playback Engine is in need of a substantial overhaul, if not a complete replacement as it had been designed first and foremost with CUDA in mind, and that no non-Nvidia GPU supports CUDA at all. Adobe added OpenCL support to the Windows versions of Premiere Pro rather reluctantly starting with CC 2014 (8.x).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

would be thankful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines