Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Radeon RX580 not being used by premiere pro

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys,

So I'm having a really frustrating time using premier pro as i can not even playback my timeline as it simply stutters or freezes. I have GPU acelaration but premire just uses cpu at 100% and 0% of GPU.

Reducing playback from FULL quality to 1/8 barelly works ad it stutters and freezes equaly in both resolutions. 

This is kind of stupid and unaceptable having in account we PAY for this.

I'm using a ryzen 5 3600,a Radeon rx580 ( that looks like it just sleeps all the time for premiere) 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SDD where i ingest all my footage i'm working on.

Do you guys have any sugestions of how i can fix this issue?

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

"Im using 4k gopro fottage"

Most any computer will either need to transcoded or need proxies for that media.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a decently fast CPU with only 16GB of RAM and a standard (not SSD) drive. Is that an internal or external drive?

What media are you using on your sequence, and what effects?

Premiere uses the GPU for those effects that are listed as GPU accelerated, but not for general playback. Especially if you're talking about 4k long-GOP media from any phone and most DSLRs, I wouldn't expect great playback with that computer with original media.

With lower capability machines, proxies and transcodes are your friend. A regular part of editing Life.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a 1TB INTERNAL SSD where the premiere is installed aswell as the footage.

Im using 4k gopro fottage, with ZERO effects and maximum lenight of some of the clips is 2 minutes.

That's the irony part, cant i play 10 40 seconds clips with a random music with 1/8th quality? Its not world fastest pc, but its still a ryzen 3600, a Rx580, and a fast ssd. ( all updated to latest drivers and firmwares btw )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i found it very frustrating to think to simply create proxies as a solution to a very bad optimized software?

So basically what every is saying is that you need a € 3k+ computer just to be able to play clips with no effects on timeline 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Im using 4k gopro fottage"

Most any computer will either need to transcoded or need proxies for that media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mfagundes,

An NLE is not "just" a video player ... the NLE by its very nature places a lot of load on a computer. Throw in the massive computing work to turn the mangled mess that is long-GOP files from something like a GoPro into an image on screen, and yea, that's a ton of load on the computer.

I work with a lot of colorists, and they run MASSIVE machines. They'd barely find yours usable as the side-computer that runs their external scopes. And yes, they port the screen signal out to a second computer just to run scopes on it! As with their rigs, just adding the scopes to the processing of their main computer would notably slow down playback.

We're talking north of $12,000 of new Mac Pros here ... or PCs with 12 cores or more all at 4.2Ghz ... 128GB of RAM at a minimum, most using between 256GB and 1 TB of RAM ... and drive arrays that are 10GBe setups with a lot higher sustained read/write than your internal drive.

And they will often make proxies for 4k GoPro and other such media. But not for 6k RED files.

Long-GOP media is a few actual video frames here and there and a bunch of data-sets. To make this back into a video image, the computer has to look at each "frame" data-set, determine which 1,2, or 3 other "complete" or i-frames it needs to reference ... find those i-frames and de-compress them ... then compute the 1) pixels that have changed from one or more previous i-frames; 2) the pixels that will change before the next i-frame; and 3) ... pixels that will do both.

It's not sequentially reading files. It's taking decently large chunks of heavily scrambled data, decompressing some and then doing a ton of computations to get each frame to show sequentially as if it really existed somewhere.

Vastly more intensive to run through the computer than 6k intraframe media would be ... where each frame is complete in and of itself, just compressed some.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I can help you here as I've been there with GoPro.

Firstly, I found that using GoPro's "GoPro Cineform" native codec within the Premiere  sequence timeline isn't pretty (takes forever to load in cache on FILE > OPEN, and especially when you update to the latest CC .x.x. version and Premiere has to re-cache all Video & Audio every time... would suggest you change the timeline to better codec, such Apple Pro-Res 422 at least.

Within SEQUENCE > SEQUENCE SETTINGS > VIDEO PREVIEWS >

Preview File Format: QUICKTIME
Codec:  Apple ProRes 422

...*should* give you quicker scrubbing.

Would also suggest a separate little NVMe M.2 cache drive if you can stretch to it. You can buy fantastic little external USB 3.1C enclosures for NVMe M.2 sticks for under $50 bucks. Then change your PREFERENCES > MEDIA CACHE > MEDIA CACHE FILES + MEDIA CACHE DATABASE to point to there instead, allowing your main drive to work with the original GoPro footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Longshot but I had a bug where it was down to which Premiere 'layout tab' I was using (As in Learning, Assembly, Editing, Color etc)! Within the Editing layout it was stuttering so badly I could barely work for about a week, switched to assembly and it runs fine!

Such a frustrating bug that cost me a lot of time, whenever I'm experiencing slow down I switch tab and it often makes a difference. 

Worth a try as it only takes a second...otherwise good luck and hope you manage to solve your problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been a problem for years. More or less, unless you're a professional editor or somebody working in Hollywood with a $12,0000 computer then Adobe PP isn't for you. It's pretty ridiculous to say the least. We're one of many people having this issue with no solution in sight. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro is the most widely used pro-level NLE currently available with rather a larger user-base than any other NLE. For most users, it runs pretty good at any one point in time. Certain users with either computer parts, setup, media, or "unique workflow" processes have issues.

How you setup your computer matters ... as it does no matter which of these complex apps you're running. Each one is built to use hardware a bit differently from the others. So it's expected that different configurations will get different "ease of utilization".

Most playback encoding has been a CPU process in Premiere, with the GPU more reserved for running the effects that they've ported for the GPU. Recently they've been putting more things into possible GPU use, including encoding/playback in certain situations with certain gear ... mostly newer gear. So for a lot of users, they are getting GPU use for playback now. Some aren't because yea, they don't have the gear for it.

Premiere doesn't require a $12,000 computer at all ... that's more of what you need to run Resolve for high-end colorist work. I'm a contributing author on a pro colorist's subscription website, with most of the members there based in Resolve, some in Baselight or Avid. There ... it's rather common to see rigs listed with 12-core plus CPUs, 128GB of RAM is a "small" machine, and they've got RAID units with 20TB of usable storage for 'local' use plus high-speed NAS ... all at probably 10GBe speeds. Their disc-access read/write sustained speeds will be over 1000Mbps.

That's heavy iron in today's terms. I do have a new rig being built by Puget at the moment as I do some work in Resolve and also with large codec sizes. My current 6-core Intel CPU at 3.2Ghz, with 32GB of RAM and GTX 1060/6GB works fine for most 1080 and full intraframe 4k in Premiere, does ok with Resolve, a bit slow with AfterEffects.

But high-K files really drag it down. And due to the work I do with Mixinglight.com and other things, I do need the ability to work with the higher-K files. So a 24-core Ryzen CPU w/ 128GB of RAM, and a 2080Ti is being built for me. All that ... still only $5700. Hardly $12k ... and it's gonna be a monster.

But if not for the high-K RED/Arri and other files like that, I'd not need to update at this time. Even the BM BRAW from my BPCC4K plays pretty nicely on my current 6-core rig.

In the end, these are all tools ... fancy hammers, if you will. Use whichever hammer works for you and your needs and situation. Whether Premiere Pro, Resolve, Avid, whatever ... they all are pretty potent tools these days.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My system is close to urs in performance... The only difference is my premiere pro uses 28gb of ddr4..

. Idk how ur making it on 16gb lol.... I have everything on the 970 evo plus 2tera

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines