• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rate stretch tool won't select clip properly

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone tell me why the rate stretch tool won't select a clip without zooming in really tight on the timeline? I'm editing animation and use rate stretch frequently. It's killing me that I have to zoom in everytime I want to select the edge of a clip and drag it to my desired duration.

This is only a problem in CC. My workflow has been extremely disrupted. I'd go back to CS 5 if I wasn't paying so much ***** money for this subscription.

Thanks!

[Moderator note: post edited for appropriate public language.]

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using the "\" keyboard shortcut to toggle your zoom on your sequence? Hit it once to zoom in and hit it again to zoom back out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Gerik.

Unfortunately it doesn't zoom in enough to enable the tool to work without manually zooming further. Even if it did, the extra key stroke (when applied hundreds of times over a day) still interupts workflow to significant detriment.

Do you know if the Adobe devs look at this forum or whether an Adobe rep is likely to respond? I wouldn't normally seek help here but I'm so frustrated I'm running out of options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. It is costing me hours, over days of editing. Whenever I have to stretch a small clip, there is 6 or 7 extra key strokes. There is no reason why the rate stretch tool should not work on quarter second clips until it is zoomed in to the maximum - it works fine for 2 second clips from any prespective. Premium Element v10 did not have this problem. Seems to be a bug.

There is no work around either, as I can't find a quick key for automatically rate stretching a video clip to the playhead or to the previous clip. At least as far as I can see.

Here's the long process:

Control K (cut video)

Control K (cut video)

Delete unwanted clip

Select R (if not already selected)

Try to stretch clip (fail)

Zoom +++

Stretch Right to playhead or to previous clip (successful)

Zoom - - -

Continue editing.

Any help would be extraordinary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the reason for rate stretch? That you are trying to slow down or speed up the video? Perhaps there's a more efficient way to do what you are trying to achieve. I ask because I'm curious and I have no idea what kind of stuff you are editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gerikp. Try to edit something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc&t=0s but imagine to start with, the illustrations are say 50x longer than the speech.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@13983698 Yes. I have made a video pretty much exactly like that. And now I understand where you are coming from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand you're not looking for an extra keystroke. But I thought I would drop this anyway. You can go to your keyboard shortcut preferences and there is a shortcut for "Zoom to frame"? Sometimes I will set my "\" key to that so when I press it will zoom all the way into frame zoom level where my CTI is parked. Then I press it again and it toggles back to my previously set zoom level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you are editing illustrations to a speech of say 15 mins, you have about 500 gaps between sentences and another 200 between clauses. The rate stretch tool will not grab for any of them without zooming. It's like having a Ferrari stuck in 1st gear - everything else is build for speed except this tool.

It is particularly disconcerting when a Volkswagen Combi (Premium Element v10) whose rate stretch tool works like a dream, zooms past your Ferrari in the high speed lane.

Beep, beep, whoosh. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dan,

There are a good number of trim tools that simply do not function unless you zoom into them far enough. I admit I get hung up on this more than I should, but I undertand that at a certain zoom level, I probably do not ever want to trim. Perhaps we can get the team to "lower the elevation height" for the tool so that it will function when zoomed a bit more out. Please make a User Voice request. Let me know if you need help with that. I'm in support. Sorry, but devs do not typically read this forum looking for improvements to the software. You have to make them aware or upvote a similar issue.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin. Posted User Voice Request just now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are doing any kind of illustration-to-speech match up, the rate stretch tool is the primary tool and the only tool to do the job. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For illustration-to-speech, have you tried After Effects?  It's much, much better-suited for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines