• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recording Video and Audio simultaneously using Premiere Pro?

Participant ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m the author of a book that’s used in college courses. In the past, I’ve created slideshow videos in After Effects to supplement the book, and I’ve used Audition for recording and editing the narration. But now, with Covid, I’ve been asked to create an online course and they say it’s best if I include my talking head. So I’ll be putting my talking head in a small circle at the bottom of the slides.

I've heard it's possible to record audio in Premiere Pro, and I’m wondering if I can use Premiere Pro to record the video of my talking head from a Logitech C920 webcam and the audio from an external mic at the same time. It seems like it would make more sense to record both the video and audio simultaneously in Premiere Pro rather than trying to sync the audio and video files manually afterward. (I’ll create the slides in AE.)

I'm using a recent MacBook pro with the latest Mac OS and the latest version of Premiere Pro. If you have any advice about how to record the video and audio in Premiere Pro, I would be most appreciative. Thanks! --Paul

TOPICS
Audio , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I'm having the same issue as Paul was- I'm trying to simultanously capture videodirectly from my camera to Premier Pro (using the capture window) while at the same time capturing audio from my set of mics (using an Onyx recording interface)- but although both devices work separetely (I can record remotely from my camera, and I can record voice from my mics using the audio Track Mixer)- I can't seem to get both of them to work simultanously. When I hit the capture button, the audio mixer stops recording. and when I begin using the capture window, it won't let me use any other windows until I stop recording..... So I'm at a loss.... 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK the capture feature in PPro is quite ancient and intended for capturing footage that was previously recorded on attached digital tape camcorders.

PPro really is a Non-Linear Editing (NLE) program and is actually quite well-known for being quite agnostic to the many formats you may throw at it. The only exception being is footage that was recorded in variable frame-rate, as is more common these days with most mobile phones and some screen capturing footage. However, you can always use a free program like handbrake (www.handbrake.fr) to transcode that to footage with a fixed frame-rate.

Recording your webcam (which you may subsequently edit using PPro) can be done on a macbook: https://support.apple.com/guide/photo-booth/take-a-photo-or-record-a-video-pbhlp3714a9d/mac

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, Goofy Foot Press,

I think you are trying to get something unsupported to work. I would focus on what does work instead. Use a separate video camera to record your image and VO. Then, import the footage into Premiere Pro. Why not do that? You could also add a small teleprompter set up and read directly to the camera. Lots of ways to engage the "reader," I would think. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To capture in Premiere Pro, you'd have to send your picture and sound through a DV or HDV camcorder along with patching the DV/HDV device via FireWire to Thunderbolt adapters. (If on an M1, you'd have to open Premiere Pro using Rosetta as well.)

In QuickTime Player, choose File > New Movie Recording.  There's a pop-up menu immediately to the right of the red record button.  Use that to set your Video Input, Audio Input and Quality (High results in H264, Maximum results in ProRes).  The MacBook Pro has a pretty good mic.  With good control over ambient sound, you should get a good recording.  

If you need more control over frame size, scratch disk location, and/or file formats, I recommend Telestream ScreenFlow; however, your college probably makes some type of screen recording software available.  I'd check that option as well if you're find you'd like more than what QuickTime Player can do. 

If you haven't tried Premiere Pro's new Transcribe feature yet, it is nothing short of excellent for adding subtitles to lecture videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Warren! Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines